Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a stupid mistake I made while installing my turbo. I pushed the exhaust extension pipe too deep into the stock cat-back exhaust pipe. The whole stock cat-back system was pulled forward when I tightened the extension pipe to the down pipe, which caused this to happen:

The hump in the exhaust over the rear axle is out of alignment now, and the rear track bar crushed the exhaust a bit when my suspension bottomed out at some point (probably that day I spent off road soon after the install).

I wonder how much power I'm losing because of this exhaust constriction.

Anybody have ideas for the cheapest way to fix this? I've already posted in the "wanted" section of a few forums for stock exhaust take-offs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I discovered a stupid mistake I made while installing my turbo. I pushed the exhaust extension pipe too deep into the stock cat-back exhaust pipe. The whole stock cat-back system was pulled forward when I tightened the extension pipe to the down pipe, which caused this to happen: The hump in the exhaust over the rear axle is out of alignment now, and the rear track bar crushed the exhaust a bit when my suspension bottomed out at some point (probably that day I spent off road soon after the install). I wonder how much power I'm losing because of this exhaust constriction. Anybody have ideas for the cheapest way to fix this? I've already posted in the "wanted" section of a few forums for stock exhaust take-offs.
I could be wrong...but I think they come that way stock. Mine brand new had the same bend in it just over the axle prior to doing any off-roading...again, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picture updated to highlight the damage. The large bend over the axle is normal. The flat partially crushed part is not normal.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
You could always just cut the exhaust off a little farther upstream of the bend for free if you don't mind the increased noise. Or go to a muffler shop and they can bend you some pipe and weld it in for cheap. Or cut that little bit out and put some flex pipe in its place.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Your exhaust is out of alignment, but the photo you're showing in post #1 of the "crushed" pipe circled in yellow was manufactured that way. All JK's have it. Only yours is now misaligned.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yup, 100% normal. I have the same "dent" on my 2014 Rubi.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, wow. Thanks for the info everyone. I still wonder how much power could be freed up with an after market cat-back system without a "dent", especially with forced induction. But I feel much better knowing that I don't have to replace anything now :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.