Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came back from a rock crawling day to find I smooshed my exhaust pipe on a rock (which in turn kept disconnecting my muffler from the pressure.) Does anyone have any advice on the best way to modify/fix the issue so it doesn't happen again? Is it safe to just saw off the last 3" or so? Is it better to point it to the side at all? Or are there better products out there specifically for off-roading? Driving a 97 TJ with a 2" lift bought a couple years ago. I suspect the muffler is not OEM, but don't know for sure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
what ever you end up doing, make sure to have a down turn of some kind. cutting it short would risk melting the nylon gas tank.

dont ask how i know.

I now run a much smaller muffler and have it turn down and out before the rear passenger tire....and a genright aluminum gas tank

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I cut mine about even with the gas tank and angled it out towards the side.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose you haven't had issues. I'm thinking I will cut mine at a 45 degree angle to point it away from anything important.

·
Retired Moderator
104,240 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I smashed my awesome double oval SS Borla exhaust tip on a rock too. Replaced it with a much cheaper / shorter Borla single wall angle tip which is much better protected.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I smashed mine too. I cut mine about 8" shorter then added a tip with a 45 degree bend and slash cut I found at Advance Auto on the shelf - maybe about $8. It was already sized to just slip over the existing tailpipe after the existing bend was removed. It's turned out and down so it doesn't point at the tank. I put it on with a u-clamp so it could be replaced again if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Removing the big trailer hitch bracket and moving the receiver to a bumper would help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Removing the big trailer hitch bracket and moving the receiver to a bumper would help.
Perhaps the OP needs a hitch. My tailpipe now fits nicely inside a nice little spot and can't be smashed now. I tow a trailer with motorcycle a lot and it weights a little over 1,200 lbs total. I have a bumper/tire carrier with a hitch built in from Rock Hard 4x4, but no manufacturer says that you can use their bumper to tow something safely - the 2" opening is only for recovery purposes. There might have been maybe one that says you can if I recall. I feel safe with a full sized class III hitch towing the bike. It hits sometimes when I go crawling, but it always slides off. The hitch is probably tougher than the bumper.

Reactions: lomaxcm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cut mine about even with the gas tank and angled it out towards the side.
I smashed mine too. I cut mine about 8" shorter then added a tip with a 45 degree bend and slash cut I found at Advance Auto on the shelf - maybe about $8. It was already sized to just slip over the existing tailpipe after the existing bend was removed. It's turned out and down so it doesn't point at the tank. I put it on with a u-clamp so it could be replaced again if needed.
I really like that idea. Looks real classy too. I think that's the way to go.
I eventually want to replace the hitch with a bumper/spare-carrier but I have a few other priorities first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts