Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan/transmission skid. As a result of my TeraFlex exhaust spacer, the exhaust pipe was touching the top of the skid on the passenger side. Today I installed a second spacer plate and the pipe still seems to be resting on the skid underneath the passenger side. Will this create an issue? I'm sure I'm not the only Jeeper out there with this issue.
Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently installed the Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan/transmission skid. As a result of my TeraFlex exhaust spacer, the exhaust pipe was touching the top of the skid on the passenger side. Today I installed a second spacer plate and the pipe still seems to be resting on the skid underneath the passenger side. Will this create an issue? I'm sure I'm not the only Jeeper out there with this issue.
Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Anyone else have this issue and just not worry about it?

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I had the same issue. You don't want to leave it like that as you'll get a vibration that will drive you crazy and there might be other adverse side effects.

The Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan/transmission skid should have come with a small 1/4" spacer place to run between your crossmember and skid to provide an additional 1/4" between your skid and your exhaust. Install this spacer plate and see if you still have an issue.

A few months back and I had to have some exhaust work done and while I was there I asked the shop to raise my exhaust crossover pipe by a 1/4"-1/2". It cost me like $30 extra and now I do not have to run the Rock Hard spacer plate anymore.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same issue. You don't want to leave it like that as you'll get a vibration that will drive you crazy and there might be other adverse side effects.

The Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan/transmission skid should have come with a small 1/4" spacer place to run between your crossmember and skid to provide an additional 1/4" between your skid and your exhaust. Install this spacer plate and see if you still have an issue.

A few months back and I had to have some exhaust work done and while I was there I asked the shop to raise my exhaust crossover pipe by a 1/4"-1/2". It cost me like $30 extra and now I do not have to run the Rock Hard spacer plate anymore.
Hi GreenRubi,

I actually am using two Rock Hard 4x4 spacer plates currently. They were nice enough to send me an additional plate for free. Since I've added the second spacer plate the vibration has gotten better. I really don't want to add a third spacer plate as I'm sure that's not ideal given the length of the bolts. I did put blue lock-tight on them when I reinstalled the bolts yesterday.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Sounds like your exhaust hangs about a 1/2" lower than most.

To Off Pavement's question, given that your exhaust is already lower than most do you even need to run the exhaust spacer?

If you find you need to run an exhaust spacer, I would find a recommended exhaust speciality shop in your area (perhaps one that does offroad vehicles and 4x4s) and ask them what they would charge to raise that portion of your exhaust a 1/2" or whatever is needed to run your skid plate without a spacer.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have to leave the exhaust spacers in?
Not sure.........but it's recommended for JKUs??

Sounds like your exhaust hangs about a 1/2" lower than most.

To Off Pavement's question, given that your exhaust is already lower than most do you even need to run the exhaust spacer?

If you find you need to run an exhaust spacer, I would find a recommended exhaust speciality shop in your area (perhaps one that does offroad vehicles and 4x4s) and ask them what they would charge to raise that portion of your exhaust a 1/2" or whatever is needed to run your skid plate without a spacer.
That would be a good solution but damn I would hate to have to remove the whole skid plate. Maybe it wouldn't be necessary.

Mine did the same thing. I removed the exhaust spacers and added a new DS instead.
What did that cost you? What brand would you recommend?

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The only time I'm aware exhaust spacers are needed on our JKs is to avoid driveshaft boot interference when the vehicle is lifted and using its stock front drive shaft.

On my JKU, I removed the spacers and bought a Adams front driveshaft. They are in the closest city to me anyway, but they do a quality job at a fair price... JK Products - Front Driveshafts - Adams Driveshaft and Off Road

·
Super Moderator
15,593 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
My UCF skid plate rubs the passenger side of my exhaust cross over piece also. I think it is because my transmission crossover mount has hit a rock or two and is bent up slightly. I run a series of washers under mine and it just barely misses, but will rattle at certain low RPMs. I would use a jack and some wood shoring to bend it up, but would be afraid of creating stress risers.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
When using exhaust spacers 2 things happen, the drivers side spacer moves the crossover back and the passenger side moves down and back. This combination provides the clearance need to run the stock drive shaft. The down side is it causes the cross over pipe to angle down towards the passenger side and can cause an issue with RockHard skids.

The fix is simple and cheap. Remove the oil pan skid and head for your nearest exhaust shop. They will cut out the offend piece of pipe and weld in a new piece that will provide more than enough clearance. Cost, depends on you area's labor rates. I think it cost me $70 and about 1/2 hour of my time.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When using exhaust spacers 2 things happen, the drivers side spacer moves the crossover back and the passenger side moves down and back. This combination provides the clearance need to run the stock drive shaft. The down side is it causes the cross over pipe to angle down towards the passenger side and can cause an issue with RockHard skids.

The fix is simple and cheap. Remove the oil pan skid and head for your nearest exhaust shop. They will cut out the offend piece of pipe and weld in a new piece that will provide more than enough clearance. Cost, depends on you area's labor rates. I think it cost me $70 and about 1/2 hour of my time.
Thanks for the info Terry!

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
That would be a good solution but damn I would hate to have to remove the whole skid plate. Maybe it wouldn't be necessary.
I've got the Rock Hard engine / transmission and transfer case skids. I take them off at least twice a year to clean them up, spray paint the scratches, etc. It seems like a bear the first couple times you do it, but now I've gotten pretty good at removing and installing it with the assistance of a floor jack. I can do it in about 30 minutes by myself. Practice makes perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts