Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help a friend out with diagnosing what appears to be an exhaust rattle. We tighten the bolts from the exhaust pipe to the manifold as they were a little loose but the noise remains. It almost sounds like a loose heat shield, but we are not finding anything loose. Odd thing is that is is not constant. It seems to only occur under acceleration. It does not do it at idle or if you rev it up. Anyone got any ideas please?
2009 JKUS, auto

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I had a bad baffle in my muffler that rattled at about 1000 RPM.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This appears to be coming from about under the front passenger side feet area.

·
Registered
784 Posts
You sure it's not a cracked manifold or the usual engine pinging issue?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Had a muffler rattle in my 94 2500 Chevy yrs ago, thought it was a exhaust pipe,

My 12 jk has a heat shield rattle on the cat, there's a bolt missing, but it only rattles at idle,

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't see a cracked manifold, but didn't look at it real close. I will take a look at that.
It is defiantly not engine pinging noise. It sounds like a thin piece of metal vibrating.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hmmm with that kind of sound, probably not a manifold. Though they're pretty common for cracks. Not much on passenger side. Maybe try a rubber mallet with some taps to the cat. Maybe coming apart inside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine does this too, rattles whenever I accelerate from a dead stop to about 20 MPH. Anybody have ideas, I will look at the heat shield.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Check your exhaust by the crossmember. If you went wheeling and hit that stupid paper thin cross"bar" then thats your culprit. I hit that bar when my jeep was 3 days old and had to shim it with washers for clearence till i bought a proper skid. My buddy hit his so bad he had to grind some material off the bar..hope that helps
Cameron

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
do either of you have exhaust spacers?

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I don't know much about the rancho exhaust but I have the spacers and even with red locktight it was able to back off and I got the same rattle but only taking off or with a low ish rpm and never just revving it had to have a load on it.

I had just got done reading all the TB on the 2012 manuals and the problems they had when this noise started. I have never been happier in my life to find a loose bolt lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it finally got bad enough that we were able to find it. It was a heat shield on the cross over pipe. It popped the tack welds. 5 min at the muffler shop and all fixed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
out of curiosity, is it this noise you hear (around 1 second mark on video)?

I am losing my mind trying to fix it. I've used zip ties, washers, and the noise always changes. I don't know 100% if it is the crossover but I'm almost hoping it is. I'm probably going to go somewhere and get it welded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpI5X5mxKkU

·
Registered
132 Posts
out of curiosity, is it this noise you hear (around 1 second mark on video)?

I am losing my mind trying to fix it. I've used zip ties, washers, and the noise always changes. I don't know 100% if it is the crossover but I'm almost hoping it is. I'm probably going to go somewhere and get it welded.
I'm hearing that noise when I accelerate in my 2010 jku at around 15-20 mph. Been making that noise for the year+ that I've owned it. I haven't tried anything yet. Started researching the problem a week ago, was going to try the worm gear hose clamps to on the heat shield of the exhaust (based on what I read somewhere in a forum).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm hearing that noise when I accelerate in my 2010 jku at around 15-20 mph. Been making that noise for the year+ that I've owned it. I haven't tried anything yet. Started researching the problem a week ago, was going to try the worm gear hose clamps to on the heat shield of the exhaust (based on what I read somewhere in a forum).
I have three hose clamps, and washers and the noise persists. I'm hoping its not something else, so I'm going to try and get a few welds done on the heat shield and see if it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The rattle in mine has been driving me crazy and I had no idea where to look until reading this thread. I just went out to the garage to look at the crossover bar and voila! The passenger side weld broke. When I shake it quickly, I hear that same rattle.

Debating on quick steel but likely will put some steel bans. Looking forward to finally being free of that rattle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts