Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the prevous owner of my jeep installed a banks header on my jeep, he then decided that he didnt like the routing of factory pipe so he (out of universial mandril bends) welded up a pipe that runs down and under the oil pan, to the cat. so 1st question, the factory exhaust on a 99 (4.0) runs up and around the oil pan sump (not under it) right? 2nd question, i took my jeep to a sortof local exhaust shop that came highly recomended to me by a friend, and they told me that they couldnt bend me a pipe tight enough to go up around the pan, whats up with that.......... do i need to use mandril bends.... if it matters its a borla header (or so i was told)

Thanks

-p.s. sorry for the novel

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't think it was the previous owner that decided on the routing, I think it was Borla. I'm in the same boat as you. For whatever reason, Borla made a TJ header that routed as you describe, under the trans. They still sell it as fitting a 97 TJ. For later years they make one that routes around the oil pan. I have no idea why they still sell the "wrong" one.
Wait till you try to put a skid plate on there. Nothing stock will fit.
If I could afford it, I'd replace my POS Borla exhaust in a minute.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
well thanx, at least i know its not just me.....:mad:

Side note, does anyone make a header that fits properly/better as far as routing goes??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts