Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for guys that have installed exhaust spacers, did you remove the "Index stop" from the Y-pipe to the intermediate pipe? It looks like this

Its function is to ensure that the spacing is correct and its aligned properly when the front half of the exhaust pipe is mated to the back half. When your installing the exhaust spacer I guess the theory is this little tab prevents the exhaust pipe from shifting back into the sleeve and might cause the pipes to buckle either up or down as your trying to push the pipes back with the spacers. thoughts?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Quick question for guys that have installed exhaust spacers, did you remove the "Index stop" from the Y-pipe to the intermediate pipe? It looks like this Its function is to ensure that the spacing is correct and its aligned properly when the front half of the exhaust pipe is mated to the back half. When your installing the exhaust spacer I guess the theory is this little tab prevents the exhaust pipe from shifting back into the sleeve and might cause the pipes to buckle either up or down as your trying to push the pipes back with the spacers. thoughts?
Pretty sure the TF Install video says it needs to be removed. You can check the vid on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did, that's where the screen capture is from. The reason I ask is because I have done a couple of these already and never cut the index stop and I talked to a buddy that did his and said that it didn't come off as easy he stopped because he didn't want to rise puncturing the pipe. That's what prompted me to post this and see what others have done.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The stop comes off pretty easily. I hit it once with a chisel and hammer and it popped right off. It looked like it was tack welded on.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sorry for the necro but for those in this thread with a 14, how much further in did you get the Y-pipe to go in? I remmoved the index, filed it nice and smooth but only got it to go in between 1/8-1/4" further than stock.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry for the necro but for those in this thread with a 14, how much further in did you get the Y-pipe to go in? I remmoved the index, filed it nice and smooth but only got it to go in between 1/8-1/4" further than stock.
I have a 2012 but it's the same set up. I had the same problem. It took a bfh and about an hour to actually get the job done

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a 2012 but it's the same set up. I had the same problem. It took a bfh and about an hour to actually get the job done
Some user reviews I've read on these spacers by folks with 14s said there was not much room to be had after removing the index tab. Curious if something changed on the 14 vs the 12?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Some user reviews I've read on these spacers by folks with 14s said there was not much room to be had after removing the index tab. Curious if something changed on the 14 vs the 12?
Think I'll rent a chain pipe cutter from my local O'reilly and lop off 1.5" from the y-pipe and then put it back together. Least I'll know then that I was able to gain that room in the system. :) What a PITA.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
On our 14 we had no problem getting the pipe to move far enough to install the spacer.

·
Registered
341 Posts
On our 14 we had no problem getting the pipe to move far enough to install the spacer.
Are you talking about shifting the exhaust system back to fit the spacer or inserting the y-pipe further inside the pipe connected to the resonator once you removed the index tab?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts