Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 JKUR
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need input guys.

I have the teraflex lift kit with exhaust spacer. I’m having to add a second shim for my rock hard skid plates because my exhaust is rubbing on the skid plate.

If I get an Adams drive shaft can I get rid of my exhaust spacer? I’d rather get rid of the spacer than had a shim.

Reactions: IndyRubicon17

·
Registered
726 Posts
Need input guys.

I have the teraflex lift kit with exhaust spacer. I’m having to add a second shim for my rock hard skid plates because my exhaust is rubbing on the skid plate.

If I get an Adams drive shaft can I get rid of my exhaust spacer? I’d rather get rid of the spacer than had a shim.
No, by lifting it you will need to keep the exhaust spacers - the driveshaft will hit the exhaust when your axle articulates.

Unless it is a mall cruiser... ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Yes you can remove them. The aftermarket driveshaft accomplishes the same thing ie more clearance at the crossover. The thinner driveshaft combined with no but gives you clearance.

Reactions: IndyRubicon17

·
Premium Member
2017 JKUR
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So which one is it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
3.5 " lift with tom woods drive shaft and mine hits with no spacer.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a 2.5" MC, which has pretty long shocks for a lot of droop, and an Adams front shaft, so smaller diameter than stock. Without exhaust spacers I'm not sure I'd get contact under regular flexing when only one side of the axle droops at a time, but I know I get major pressure applied to the crosspipe by the shaft when the front axle is fully drooped when on a lift for service. Playing with the floor jack and comparing the deflection to me hanging basically all of my weight on the pipe (165 lb), the axle is pulling it down way further (I stopped before seeing how far it'd go, of course). I'm not sure if that's a big deal, or maybe this happens to a lot of lifted Jeeps with no ill effect, but I didn't like the idea of potentially stressing my exhaust manifold joint or anything else when the Jeep is in the shop.

So I ended up adding the spacers back in, even though I had expected to be able to go without them by adding the shaft (as you are hoping). I was able to compromise a bit by running some shorter spacers than the ones MC provides, which allowed my crosspipe to stay above the transmission crossmember and thus I don't need more than one shim on the Rockhard engine/trans skid. The MC spacers were quite long, I guess to provide more clearance than some others given how droopy their kits are. I ended up using the short MC spacer and the long one from a JKS kit (which was shorter than the short MC spacer).

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Depends on your lift and your bump stop situation. 2 1/2 - 3" lift with properly set up bump stops, a smaller diameter after market drive shaft will not hit. Why do some high end lift kits come with a new driveshaft, because the stock driveshaft will hit.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I had to add the shim plate of my Smitty skids when I lifted my Jeep with exhaust spacers.
All the reading I’ve done tells me that the correct drive shaft will eliminate need for spacers and a shim.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
I have the full Rockhard skid system and exhaust spacer on my JKU. The exhaust pipe does rub on the skid at the crossover but it’s been that way for a long time and it doesn’t make any noise or appear to hurt anything.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Depends on your lift and your bump stop situation. 2 1/2 - 3" lift with properly set up bump stops, a smaller diameter after market drive shaft will not hit. Why do some high end lift kits come with a new driveshaft, because the stock driveshaft will hit.
That explains why the mopar lifts come with a new front driveshaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bumpstops should have nothing to do with the driveshaft hitting the exhaust. Bumpstops are for limiting compression, the driveshaft hits on droop.

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,901 Posts
Need input guys.

It's one or the other....the spacers or the drive shaft....yes if you get an Adams ds you can take the spacers out....I run tf's ct3 lift with Ace skids-no shims- and an Adams ds....no issues....

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had an exhaust shop weld-in spacers on the horizontal sections of the y-pipe to clear the driveshaft without the skid shims. Just another option.

Attachments

Reactions: SlipperySlope

·
Registered
970 Posts
You guys that run an aftermarket shaft without spacers, does the shaft not contact the crosspipe with a lot of force when the entire axle is dropped as when on a service lift? Mine does, but maybe it's just the long travel MC shocks. I understand this isn't a real world driving scenario unless you're doing jumps, but I still didn't like the idea of hanging many hundreds of pounds of axle force on that cross pipe (and in a bending motion on the shaft to boot) whenever the axle is fully dropped for service. I guess if your vehicle never goes on a lift other then when you're working on it and disconnecting the shaft from the axle, in which case it would be avoided. But even taking it to the tire shop for a free rotation you'd run into this.

·
Super Moderator
6,748 Posts
Could after market exhaust fix this as well?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I know there are aftermarket Y pipe that address this issue, it is routed to allow for better clearance without needing spacers. I don't know how much clearance it buys you. But since it is the cross over part of the Y pipe that the clearance issue is about, it makes sense that a different Y pipe could resolve the issue.
So if the aftermarket exhaust replaced the Y pipe with one that is better routed for clearance, you could be good. Or you can just replace the Y pipe alone.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Is the exhaust spacer big enough to even make that much difference. AFE does make a Y pipe that gives more driveshaft clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts