Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I have a 3 inch BDS lift and it came with a set of exhaust spacers. I put them on but they were not the best fit in my opinion. After a long trip I noticed a tiny bit of soot on one side (possible small leak) So I took them back off until I decide if I want to go with somebody else's spacers.

I can't really tell a huge difference in clearance with the spacers installed versus not installed. I guess the recomendations I have heard are if you go three inches or more spacers should be used. That was on 2012's although I doubt anything changed on the fit up for 2013.

Is anybody lifted about 3 inches not using the exhaust spacers?

I noticed the TeraFlex spacers are a bit different design. Anybody have those? Happy or not???

Thanks...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've got the Teraflex 2.5 lift w/ the teraflex Exhaust spacers. They went on easily look like they are a high quality product, and I have had no leaks whatsoever. Very happy withe them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got the 2.5 inch Teraflex lift on my 2012 JK without the exhaust spacers. I was told by the shop when it was installed that for lifts 2.5 inch and under I would have no clearance issues with the exhaust crossover touching the boot on the front drive shaft. I even climbed under and measured a 1.5 inch clearance when the Jeep was at rest.

At the suggestion of a Forum member we did a test. When I had the Jeep on the lift for its first oil change and tire rotation we found that the front drive shaft plastic boot was resting on the exhaust crossover pipe when the front wheels were allowed to drop to max extension on the lift. As the front axle drops, the driveshaft obviously dropped enough to make contact, even with a relatively small 2.5 inch lift kit installed.

I called Teraflex tech support to get their opinion. They did acknowledge that at full extension of both front wheels the 2.5 inch lift will cause the boot to make contact. However, this rarely happens unless I would get both sides of the front end all the way in the air. I should not have a problem in most off road articulation since only one side of the suspension makes it all the way to full travel, the other side normally has to hold some weigh of the vehicle. It’s pretty rare (like a jump) that the whole front end get fully unweighted like on a lift. They say, when only one side is at full travel, there is no contact. I was not able to test this.

They said to be 100 per cent safe, their exhaust spacer kit costs about $60.00 and usually about one hour of labor at a shop for installation. Since I have the Teraflex sway bar disconnects, want lots of articulation, and want to play it safe, I had the kit installed today. Total installed cost was $140.00. First photo is of the clearance with both front wheels are at full extension on the lift after the Teraflex exhaust spacer kit was installed. The next two are of the two pieces of the kit. I'm very happy so far.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Worth mentioning is if you use a RockHard engine/tranny skid (or any skid that protects the exhaust pipe) , the exhaust spacer pushes the exhaust nearer the skid (close enough where it could contact and rattle), so you might shim the skid down another 3/8" - 1/2". It is easy to do.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Worth mentioning is if you use a RockHard engine/tranny skid (or any skid that protects the exhaust pipe) , the exhaust spacer pushes the exhaust nearer the skid (close enough where it could contact and rattle), so you might shim the skid down another 3/8" - 1/2". It is easy to do.
As the southerners like to say it, "use some warshers!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts