Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking into an exhaust system for my jeep JK.
I know it's a v6, and it'll sound sort of like a tuner car. But is there an exhaust out there y'all would recommend installing, or mod I can do?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm looking into an exhaust system for my jeep jk. I know it's a v6, and it'll sound sort of like a tuner car. But is there an exhaust out there y'all would recommend installing, or mod I can do?
I have the Magnaflow 17143. It turns down right before the rear axle. I don't think it sounds like a tuner, just need to give it ab 1000 miles to break in.

Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Dynomax and aFe are probably the most popular. They have cat back set ups that remove the factory resonator and muffler or resonator back that just replaces the factory muffler. Lots of different styles and choices for lots of different people!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive heard the magnaflow's and heard theyre good. KTwilly, i heard the flowmaster series 10, and it sounded sick. although i did hear that the quality isn't that good, so i'm real confused as to what i should get, since it does cost an arm and a leg haha

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Banks here, nice smooth tone to it, not too ricey, and it leaves the resonator in place so on the highway it sounds stock no drone at all. I've been very happy with it, honestly sometimes I wish it were a little louder... but then I make a highway trip and am glad it isn't.

·
Registered
611 Posts
3rd the Banks system... easy to install and leaves most of the stock pieces in place. Subtle, but nice sounding.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went with the Dynomax 17263 for around $70 from Amazon and paid a local muffler shop to weld it in place of the stock muffler. I kept the resonator, but he said if I wanted it to be louder to bring it in and he can do a resonator delete. I'm waiting until it warms up so I can see how it sounds with the soft top, topless and doorless before I decide if I want to do that or not. I like the sound of it right now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the Magnaflow 17143. It turns down right before the rear axle. I don't think it sounds like a tuner, just need to give it ab 1000 miles to break in.

Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Dynomax and aFe are probably the most popular. They have cat back set ups that remove the factory resonator and muffler or resonator back that just replaces the factory muffler. Lots of different styles and choices for lots of different people!!
Have the same done on mine. Good deep sound. Not to loud.

The issue I have run into is the melting of the e-brake line cover and a bit of melted plastic on the axle. Nothing to freak out over. hehe Any fix using a tube with a metal tape causes the line to bind and the e-brake does not release.

Anyone suggest a decent heat shield they used?

I am playing with the idea of using something like an HUC *holds 2x4's when building a house* to cover the line. Something not near as tall but providing a cover that does not touch the line and then strapping it with metal straps to the axle.

What I am dealing with in my head today while I work at the office.

Run into that, Greg?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Have the same done on mine. Good deep sound. Not to loud. The issue I have run into is the melting of the e-brake line cover and a bit of melted plastic on the axle. Nothing to freak out over. hehe Any fix using a tube with a metal tape causes the line to bind and the e-brake does not release. Anyone suggest a decent heat shield they used? I am playing with the idea of using something like an HUC *holds 2x4's when building a house* to cover the line. Something not near as tall but providing a cover that does not touch the line and then strapping it with metal straps to the axle. What I am dealing with in my head today while I work at the office. Run into that, Greg?
I've got over 1000 miles with the muffler on and nothing has melted or got real hot. I got all 3 sections on and then pushed towards the front while tightening the clamps. The rubber isolators allow a little bit of movement.

image-262110332.jpg

·
Registered
647 Posts
have the same done on mine. Good deep sound. Not to loud. The issue i have run into is the melting of the e-brake line cover and a bit of melted plastic on the axle. Nothing to freak out over. Hehe any fix using a tube with a metal tape causes the line to bind and the e-brake does not release. Anyone suggest a decent heat shield they used? I am playing with the idea of using something like an huc *holds 2x4's when building a house* to cover the line. Something not near as tall but providing a cover that does not touch the line and then strapping it with metal straps to the axle. What i am dealing with in my head today while i work at the office. Run into that, greg?

image-389213770.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Flowmaster American Thunder…high clearance, great sound. Difficult install on a two door but worth the work

1 - 20 of 37 Posts