Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly certain I have a cracked manifold on my 2004 4.0. If so, would wrapping a new manifold with exhaust wrap help to prevent further issues? I figure it would help the manifold stay cooler.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Wrap is not for sealing or repair of cracks. Furthermore most exhaust manufactuers do not recommend wrap on a street car. The wrap when it get wet will hold moisture and contribute to the exhaust rotting out much quicker.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Wrap is not for sealing or repair of cracks. Furthermore most exhaust manufactuers do not recommend wrap on a street car. The wrap when it get wet will hold moisture and contribute to the exhaust rotting out much quicker.
Ok in theory yeah wet = rot, BUT with as hot as the manifold gets it drys very quickly.... I wrapped my exhaust to keep heat away from tranny and TC and even in wet weather you can hear and see the steam coming off it...it's drying.
Regarding op question it needs to be fixed not wrapped.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am planning on fixing it. But I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to wrap the new manifold before installing it, to ensure longevity.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wrapping is not recommended for the exhaust on vehicles that see water. In performance applications, wrapping can sometimes promote a failure by trapping in moisture as Neil. F said. On an off-road rig, the exposure that you have to moisture, and to more debris that can also (if not perfectly sealed) impregnate the material, thereby promoting further moisture penetration, just worsens this. In short, it's not recommended, and will promote premature failure. You can ceramic coat a header to reduce heat, which is also common on race applications, especially turbo applications which need exhaust to move as quickly as possible (the hotter the exhaust, the faster it moves), but in your situation, you simply need a new manifold, or to weld the crack on your existing one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts