Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just purchased a 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4 cylinder. The current exhaust is rotted, and needs to be replaced. My thinking is putting a new exhaust system on, I would be taking out the cat and putting a straight pipe in Then getting an exhaust and tailpipe. Any suggestions on what to get?

Also, What size should the straight pipe be, and what size clamps should I get so I can secure it to the old pipe ? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Go to your local ma' and pop exhaust shop and theyll get you squared away a hell of a lot cheaper than buying online.

Keep the cat. TJs sound horrible straight piped.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Running any vehicle on public roads without a cat is illegal per federal regulations if it was originally built with one.

Running with a properly functioning cat should stop your exhaust from stinking (run without a top and/or doors and you'll find out).

Some posters state that running without a cat produces more power. I don't believe it.

A cat for my YJ is around $100.00 on Rock Auto.
A California CARB cat for OP's Jeep is $278.00 on Rock Auto.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: jadmt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I don’t want to get fined. I’ll keep the cat. But back to the original question.

What size should the pipe be (with the cat), and what size clamps should I get so I can secure it to the old pipe ? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Walker direct fit stuff is hard to beat...
Just order by application

·
Registered
54 Posts
Walker exhaust stuff is junk now, it used to be good but not any more, it'll rust out in a year. i run banks stainless monster exhaust. The xj my exhaust gets ripped off on the rocks all the time i just bend it back and put it back on. On the tj it stays as by design its tucked up a little better. it has surface rust but its solid. Its not very expensive.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have walker exhaust on several vehicles and have no rust issues...

As for diameter... get under there and measure what fits wherever it is that you want a pipe...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts