Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really been paying attention to gas mileage in my Jeep... But it seems to burn a hell of a lot of it! I have a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited, lifted w/ 35" tires. What kind of gas mileage am I looking at? What are some sure ways to gauge it? It has a cold air intake, and standard Rubicon gearing.... 4.11 if I'm not mistaken.

*also I use mid-grade gas if that means anything...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
ummm probably 13-15 mpg...

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
What are you getting. Has your speedo been corrected for your tires.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My guess is you are probably in the 12-14 mpg range at best; could be worse, very unlikely it's any better. I'm not sure of your question "What are some sure ways to gauge it?". To calculate MPG, divide the number of miles traveled by the number of gallons used (gallons required to re-fill).

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got an '06 with 31's and 3.73 gears. I get as low as 10 mpg in winter (yeah, I idle a lot, and have a heavy right foot in the snow) to 15 mpg in summer, going down hill with the wind behind me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
download the "Gas Cubby" app on the iPhone. It'll help gauge your mpg.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Both speedo and odometer are off from the tire size. Depending on the size of tires you left factory with, im not sure what % they would be off by.

·
Registered
876 Posts
AirWick said:
download the "Gas Cubby" app on the iPhone. It'll help gauge your mpg.
If you haven't corrected your speedo, the inputs to Gas Cubby will still give you a false reading for MPG's. I like it as you can track repairs with it as well :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
my old apex with 35's and a 6 in lift only got about 10 MPG on a good day in the summer..

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
why are you wasting your money on mid grade??? The 4.0 runs best on 87 (FACT) and the owners manual will tell you so..

Correct your spedo and also regearing will help a bit as well

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Higher octane is meant for higher compression or higher than normal air pressure in the combustion chamber. A stock 4l motor is pretty low compression.. the point of higher octane is to resist premature combustion which exists in higher compression motors or motors that are not naturally aspirated

·
Registered
90 Posts
I Also have an 06 LJ Rubicon but with 33" tires. I get about 10 MPG riding around town but that is with an uncorrected speedo. I can tell you that when my speedo reads 60 MPH I am actually doing about 64 or 65 MPH. The difference increases the faster you go. I would imagine with a corrected speedometer that I must be getting about 12 MPG??

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have an 06 umlimited 2 door with 35s as well and I average about 14 mpg on the interstate(I drive interstate to work everyday) Its about $60 every 3 days for me

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I haven't really been paying attention to gas mileage in my Jeep... But it seems to burn a hell of a lot of it! I have a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited, lifted w/ 35" tires. What kind of gas mileage am I looking at? What are some sure ways to gauge it? It has a cold air intake, and standard Rubicon gearing.... 4.11 if I'm not mistaken.

*also I use mid-grade gas if that means anything...
You need to determine what your getting per gallon and the variance your not recording due to larger tires. On my TJ with 31's my odometer registers 6.6% less than actual. When I fill up and record the amount of miles recorded I add 6.6% to the total before dividing the number of gallons it took to fill up. My stock 2.4L 5 speed gets 19-20 but my daily commute is 100 miles with 95% highway no faster than 65MPH. When I push it it gets significantly worse/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts