Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for more information on folks that have done or are doing this type of build, as much as I like the rock crawlers and would love to compete in king of hammers the reality is I can't with my back. but I enjoy camping and off road experience and driving. would like to set up my rig to allow me to take it to the more remote areas for camping and hunting.

So any ideas would be great!! and all suggestions are helpful.

so what I have to start with.

1997 TJ . Soft top . 4cy. Automatic (plan to change this out eventually)

Mods I have done so far.

rock hard sports cage.
2" terea flex BB
steel braided brake lines
rancho 9000 adj. shocks
Rancho 9000 steering stabilizer
31" tires.
power chip tuner.
built a "D" box for the light set up
factory fog lights now work
A Pillar L.E.D lights.
G.P.S
C.B. (need to figure out where I want to mount this still)
K&N replacement filter
Throttle body spacer
tuffy center council
L.E.D. strip lighting in both red and white
inverter (have just have to figure out where to mount)
ZJ front end conversion
Planed mods

lockers front and rear
re gear the axels
front and rear bumpers
winch
Co2 air system
some kind of cargo box to help stow gear

ok so have at it let me know what i'm missing. not thinking of. opinion's on this idea etc...
Rock lights

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Sounds like you've done plenty of mods to help the Jeep get to the remote places, but you said you want to get there to camp - maybe you should think about a matching trailer with a tent?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
You mentioned needing to figure out where to mount your CB... here's where I have mine mounted:

It's out of the way back there but still accessible.

It also doesn't require any bolts or screws for mounting, the mounts slip right over the console, which means the CB can be removed in seconds for security.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You mentioned needing to figure out where to mount your CB... here's where I have mine mounted:

It's out of the way back there but still accessible.

It also doesn't require any bolts or screws for mounting, the mounts slip right over the console, which means the CB can be removed in seconds for security.

Where can I get a mount like this? Did you make it?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Where can I get a mount like this? Did you make it?

Many thanks!
I made it out of sheet metal. It's easy to do, cut and bend cardboard into the size and shape you need, trace them onto some sheet metal, cut them out and bend them. The left and right are the same, just bent opposite. Here's a photo of mine before painting:

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
TJs are a bit pressed for space compared to a JKU, but you can do lots to make yourself comfortable.

Do you need the rear seat? If not, mounting a cargo rack inside is a great way to keep your gear organized - pack into containers like action packers as much as possible. A cargo rack or hitch carrier is a great addition if you can't go for a trailer. Roof racks help quite a bit, too.

I used to be a big 4wd weekender and rockcrawler... I sort of got that out of my system but love to camp and overland, so this has been an area I've done some homework lately.

What do you consider an expedition build? Long weekend, Week-at-a-time, multi-week, month?
How many passengers? (this is the one of the most fundamental questions, as it impacts several other areas of preparation)
How far from civilization do you plan to go? This drives tools and repair parts, communication/power, food storage, etc.
What are you seeking out of the build?
Cooking/food prep: Hot coffee & pop tarts for breakfast or cooking for 10 with a dutch oven?
Shelter and hygiene: Shower? Commode? Roof top tent (RTT)? Awnings? EZ-up tent?
Terrain: unpaved 2-track, unimproved roads, old logging or mining trails, 4WD only?

There are some really good expedition websites and forums that I frequent as well - quite a different mindset than the weekend rockcrawler 4x4 build approach. There is some overlap, sure, but you really have different build objectives - what works for one may be a detractor for another.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the C.B mount thank you!

Tarditi:
Basically just starting out in the adventure right now for passengers it's me and a dog.
Might have two adults later but right now anyone that goose with me will be planned a head of time for so I can take or leave things as needed.

Looking to do some of the back road type stuff, my passion has always been photography and camping. I like to start doing more of both. Since my back injury I have relised i need to enjoy things a bit more.
Tools and parts will be with me for basics but mostly looking just to get off the normal away from daily bump and grind of traffic and city noise. City lights to get some good night photos etc. I don't thing I'll be doing the "road of bones" any time soon would be fun! But have to be real also.

Not sure a trailer will work for me for couple reasons
4x4 causes fuel to disappear fast, and they would help this more. Besides I have tent camped for years on the ground or in a tree. So that is the easy thing for me. Can't do the rock climbing unless it's in a jeep so that gear is easy enough. How ever a chance to get out in to the back roads pretty deep and camp would be nice.
See more of the country that more have forgotten then seen . roof rack has not been ruled out but not a fan of taking a high gravity truck and make the gravity point even higher so much but there are ways to pack so that helps this also.
Water storage and a spare tank for fule are being thought of also

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious as far as what does the throttle body spacer do?
Lol not much!
It is suposed to aid in MPG's and throughout response but not sure if it is or not. After installing it to me it felt as if it got worse but I had to reset the computer to clear some codes and pied the destructions of some other stuff and seems to be a bit better. Bit honestly I haven't noticed it enough to wasn't buying another one.
But we are talking about a 4banger auto. Here so not a speed demon by any strech of the imagination!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's my start!

Did a trial run this past weekend, I'll get some more pics of the tent and awning deployed over our Memorial weekend trip to Freeman Park, NC! I used to blow up an air mattress in the back, but needed additional creature comforts for the wife to join me :) So far couldnt be happier with the setup......

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds great! Still working on mine got my C.B. mounted . stereo and wires ran where I don't catch them on everything. I Have the D box done and plan to get that in and start wiring lights and switches. But still looking for a good location for them

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is the type of build that interests me the most. I just need a couple buddies to do the same so I have an excuse to use it. Possibilities seem pretty limited in Ohio.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts