Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm planning on replacing my H/U with a low/mid level Pioneer unit. My plan was to eliminate the can bus set up on the factory amplification and just hard wire my speakers into an 5 channel aftermarket amp. I don't have uconnect or nav or any of that stuff so all I would lose is the steering wheel controls. I've never thought the factory amp would be sufficient to drive the speakers comfortably and I rarely even hear my sub. But lately I've heard reports of folks getting decent power from the factory amp! Does anyone know the specs of the 2014 premium alpine amp? To be fair I've never turned the factory H/U over 22 or so, but this morning out of curiosity cranked it up to 24 and boom, I have a sub, and it works well. I'm one of those guys that is cautious about cranking amps past the 60% level or so (just what I was always taught to not introduce distortion) I have no idea how high the factory H/U goes but I did see it goes over 30. Not looking for ear shattering music, just want crisp, clear sound that my old artillery ears can hear with the top and doors off. The head unit I am considering is the Pioneer AVH-2300NEX and the amp would be either the Pioneer GM-D705 or the Soundstream PN5.640D thanks in advance for all replies or suggestions

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
The alpine unit will work with an aftermarket head unit but you MUST include the idatalink Maestro can bus adapter to make it all work properly (the 2300nex is compatible with Maestro).

If you have the alpine system in your jeep already then I would connect it to the 2300 and try it before buying aftermarket amps.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be an option, the price of the Maestro can be half the cost of the amp. I do have aftermarket speakers on all but the knee panels. Checking this am it appears that volume setting around 26 is max before I start to get clipping, Some songs work well at 26, some 24 is the limit. I just don't know if my limiting factor is the amp or the factory HU. Note the factory HU will definitely get replaced, It has 0 frills and a stuck CD in it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have a 2300NEX in my 09. 2014 is Infinty, Alpine started in 2015. Originally went with a Pioneer 2700 and a PAC can bus. Also did the tweeter mod, speaker mod and sub mod. I highly recommend going that route first before adding an amp to replace the stock amp. Moved to the 2300 to get Carplay, added the Maestro to access network features (OBD access and fader). I can get very clean sound with the top down and completely cover the wind noise at highway speeds. Also I am very picky when it comes to sound quality and the factory amp is very good.

·
Registered
370 Posts
As some others have said, I’d take a shot upgrading the head unit with the factory amp before going aftermarket amp.

I have a 14 JKU with the Alpine system, replaced the HU with the 4200NEX a few years ago and it really woke the system up. Still running all factory Alpine speakers and amp, run top/doors off 90% of the time and can hear music crystal clear even on the highway.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2300NEX in my 09. 2014 is Infinty, Alpine started in 2015. Originally went with a Pioneer 2700 and a PAC can bus. Also did the tweeter mod, speaker mod and sub mod. I highly recommend going that route first before adding an amp to replace the stock amp. Moved to the 2300 to get Carplay, added the Maestro to access network features (OBD access and fader). I can get very clean sound with the top down and completely cover the wind noise at highway speeds. Also I am very picky when it comes to sound quality and the factory amp is very good.

Yes, Infinity, I stand corrected, I too have done the tweeter mod, speaker mod, sub mod, and sound is easily 100% better. Crutchfield sells all the Maestro stuff (and I would want fader access, don't know about OBD access since I don't have it now, But I do have a bluetooth obd device that should hook up regardless.) but to get their install kit you have to purchase the HU from Crutchfield. Is the recommendation to go through Crutchfield for the support they offer or is everything needed available elsewhere?, Amazon has the Pioneer a good bit cheaper than Crutchfield.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I went through Crutchfield for the support, waited on a sale and pulled the trigger.

Not sure it matters but from the factory 2014 was in fact Alpine, not infinity - just FYI.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, rechecked, 2014 with sub was Alpine, So Crutchfield does not carry the 2300 but I did get the install package from them, they wouldn't give me the discount you get if you buy the unit but they knocked off $20, gave me 5$ card, and I had an old $25 card in my desk so I did get $50 off. Then went to Amazon and got the 2300, parking brake bypass module, back up camera, and remote usb/aux ports. So I am now set. Thanks for everyone's input

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything is sounding great but my steering wheel controls are not working, never really used them before

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Everything is sounding great but my steering wheel controls are not working, never really used them before
Did you get the maestro? If so, did you flash it?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did flash it for my controls. There are 2 connectors on the maestro that plug into the factory harnesses. I only plugged in one, couldn't find the other one, and couldn't remember if I unplugged one or two connectors from the factory radio. that may be it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts