Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation. I bought my 2012 and bought the life time warranty from Chrysler. My dealer is pretty good but now that I have replaced half of the Jeep with aftermarket the only thing the warranty will be good on is the engine/transmissions. That was my main concern but asking my dealer they said they look at every claim as a case by case basis and if mods affect it is up in the air. They aren't saying yes, they aren't saying no. I know they can't really guarantee anything but it sounds like a politician telling me to keep the warranty. I'm thinking it may be smarter to cancel the extended warranty and get my $ back on it which is state law that I can do... What does everyone else think? I do off road and they are aware of it I'm not going to try to lie to my dealer.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Honestly, mods are the reason I wasn't really considering an extended warranty. Some dealers will still authorize fixes on modified vehicles, but they don't have to... and it sounds like your dealer won't. If there are other dealers in the area, maybe call around and see if they are any more mod friendly places.

Granted, what they say over the phone means nothing when it comes to actually taking your vehicle in for a major repair. They want your money, and unless you can get something in writing, they will probably deny ever saying something to you.

I'd cancel the extended warranty and get my money back.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, my dealer has always been good with me. But at the same time, I know better. They are out to make money... Getting the $2k back from my warranty and putting it in a sock seems like better insurance than the warranty itself... But maybe I'm way off.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I went through this on a Denali several years ago. Didn't buy it and a/c went out. $2300 to fix. I'm a believer just for that reason.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I bought the extended warranty just for all the crap I was hearing about the head problems. I have the 2012 built in April of this year. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
A lot of people like extended warranties for the peace of mind. Saying that, extended warranties are a cash cow for many companies including car dealerships. They love selling them, especially knowing many will sell their vehicle in many cases long before the warranty expires. Most financial advisers will tell you to never buy them because they tend to be a waste of money. It is better to bank that money for any emergency that may come up and draw interest yourself. And with a Jeep it may be even more so because all the mods people do to them. But if you like having the peace of mind then it may be worth it to you.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I thought about it only because my wife puts a ton of miles on her vehicle on her way to/from work (about 60 miles each way...) and runs through cars every few years. We were doing the "I get a car this time, you get the next one" routine but that's kinda been tossed out the window. Just for that reason alone, I've thought about getting the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I bought the extended warranty just for all the crap I was hearing about the head problems. I have the 2012 built in April of this year. Better safe than sorry.
You should not need it for the head, it should be covered under the standard 5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You don't have to purchase the extended warranty at time of purchase. If 2 years from now I think I will need it, I can purchase it then. I will never purchase it at time of vehicle purchase unless they're giving it to me for nothing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts