Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
First, they are VERY negotiable!!! It is amazing how much they will discount them and they will usually give 0% for 18 months.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Not worth it. If your jeep has problems, especially with the pentastar and it's heads, they will show up well before the factory warranty is up. Use the money for mods instead

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm interested in this too. How long do you have to decide after purchase? Is it immediate? What's the extended warranty cover?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Most of the time, you have until the factory bumper to bumper runs out to buy extended warranty... BUT, sometimes there are restrictions. On Toyota for example, I could get all the way to 240,000km warranty, if bought at the time of purchase, but only 160,000 warranty if bought after. Sometimes the prices are higher as well after purchase.

Worth it? You can never answer that exactly, as it is like any insurance... if you don't end up using it, it appears 'worthless'. If your truck eats a transfer case out of warranty, it is kind of handy. With so many 'minor' jobs now booking for 6-8 hours, and shop rates at $100+, it doesn't take long for even a minor repair to make warranty worthwhile.

If you plan on owning this vehicle for well-past the warranty period, extended warranty can give you some financial security... (like any insurance)... maybe your monthly payment goes up $25, but you know that until xxx,xxx km, your payment has got you covered as far as vehicle and repairs.

If the cost is an issue, look at major component warranty rather than bumper-to-bumper... my Sequoia needed a new blower motor (it was noisy) and that paid for the warranty right there...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I got a better deal through my bank. It covers from bumper to bumper with towing, trip interruption and tire puncture warranty. I compared to the one from Chrysler and went with by bank. More option for less money.

This is the first time I've done the extended warranty so I was a little leery. I want to keep my jeep for a while so I sprung for it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought the Chrysler MaxCare Lifetime with $100 deductable for $2007. I plan on keeping the Jeep a long time and it is essentially fully out of the standard factory warranty after 5 years so that was my justification.

With that said, every time I think about it, I question my decision...

·
Registered
182 Posts
bbermann said:
I bought the Chrysler MaxCare Lifetime with $100 deductable for $2007. I plan on keeping the Jeep a long time and it is essentially fully out of the standard factory warranty after 5 years so that was my justification.

With that said, every time I think about it, I question my decision...
I did the same thing for the same reason. Don't question the decision it was sound. Just imagine if in 6 years a fuel pump goes or something else you would kick your self for not making the small additional investment to cover that expense.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm beginning to think its worth getting the extended warranty. Since I've been out of bumper to bumper, I've had one brake caliper replaced, my passenger seat might be defective, replaced shocks because one was leaking, paint is lifting off the hood hinges, whats next?

My jeep puts a smile on my face, but the build quality is not on par with the Japanese and Korean automakers.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is the quality that bad?
It depends on what you are comparing it to. I might have just gotten lucky with my past 4 vehicles(all Hyundais and Toyotas) having no issues whatsoever.

But the stuff I listed are more like minor nuisances that haven't put a damper on my overall Jeep experience.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think it is based on how long you plan to keep it. If you plan on dumping it within the 3/36 then no, but after that I think it's worth it. AC compressor repair is 2600.00 along with all the electric components in these Jeeps.

I bought the Chrysler Lifetime as I don't plan to get rid of mine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think it is based on how long you plan to keep it. If you plan on dumping it within the 3/36 then no, but after that I think it's worth it. AC compressor repair is 2600.00 along with all the electric components in these Jeeps.

I bought the Chrysler Lifetime as I don't plan to get rid of mine.
This.

How many times have you seen a thread with someone bitching about a messed up JK and the popular response is "don't worry it's under warranty" I would not own a Chrysler product out of warranty.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am guessing you are purchasing a new vehicle with an extended warranty. Are you going to wheel it or mod it? If so, how wheeler friendly are the dealerships in your area? I wheel mine and do most of the minor wrenching, so for me I don't purchase them. I would imagine that the odds are in the dealerships favor. If it is a used vehicle that you are buying I would probably get one because I don't know what the previous owner had done to it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've only actually utilized my extended warranty on one of all the vehicles I've owned over the years. But on that particular vehicle I used it multiple times.

It was a 2004 F250 with that worthless 6.0 Powerstroke that they didn't keep long. If not for the extended warranty I would have had to pay for a transmission, torque converter (twice on this one), and a turbo. (The turbo might've still been factory warranty, I can't remember.)

So in my humble opinion, it can really save your butt, HOWEVER, it's the only vehicle I have ever made use out of it on. And I've owned quite a few new cars in the past 15 years due to moving overseas, cross country, or just plain me getting ooh shiny syndrome. I've therefore reluctantly gotten it on every vehicle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine is Chrysler Warranty covers pretty much anything non wearable for life of vehicle. My dealer is Mod/Jeep friendly.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am on the fence right now with my extended warranty as to wether I am going to leave it in place or get it cancelled. I discovered that I overpaid on mine. It cost me $1995. which I thought was the lifetime but only ended up being the 7 year warranty. I will be going and talking to my dealer in the next week or so.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts