Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner tried painting the 3 exterior door handles on my new to me Yeller TJ.

My question is should I just replace them, or sand them and repaint them?

What are your experiences?

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Oem much better than aftermarket as long as spring that flips it back down is still working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oem much better than aftermarket as long as spring that flips it back down is still working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All OEM handles work as they should.

So you are saying I should sand them and paint them?

·
Super Moderator
11,082 Posts
Assuming you're talking about metal, outer, full door handles, Here's my thoughts.
I'd avoid aftermarket door handles if I could. The cost difference might be attractive enough to warrant gambling on the aftermarket handles.

If your current door handles are working properly, the most economical way to get them to the condition you want is to refinish them.
Sandblasting your door handles might leave a pitted texture. I suggest having them media blasted.
I also suggest using a zinc based primer. If you're planning on using spray cans, then buy a brand like Rustolium that has the primer in the paint. There might be other brands that also have the primer already in the paint.

For full metal doors, it's easier to remove and re-install the outer handles with the glass out of the way. I have a YJ with vent windows, but I'm fairly sure that the same thing applies to TJs also. Let us know how the project goes.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I painted mine and am very happy with the results. I taped them off real well, got rid of the rust with a dremmel with a wire brush and sanded real good. Painted with rustoleum flat black and I think they came out great. Over a year later and still in great shape. I considered replacing but it looked like a pain in the neck to change out.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I painted mine and am very happy with the results. I taped them off real well, got rid of the rust with a dremmel with a wire brush and sanded real good. Painted with rustoleum flat black and I think they came out great. Over a year later and still in great shape. I considered replacing but it looked like a pain in the neck to change out.
That is what I envisioned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts