Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner, just curious how you clean the exterior of your Wrangler, including Sunrider soft tops? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax if I do it myself, and I don't even bother putting up my top.

If not by hand, I pay $20 at the local wash and hand dry.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a guy at my church that is a retired chief of police that is into classic Mustangs and he has a hand detail business to do a excellent clean for hardly nothing! A wax job is a bit more but he uses a wax that cost like hundreds of dollars and really a vehicle needs only waxing maybe twice a year to keep it protected. So to spend $25-$30 a wash when I don't feel like it then twice a year to have a $100 wax and wash job is the way to go. I use to love this when I was younger with my old 60's muscle cars but now I am older......I hate washing a vehicle sadly to say. I like driving!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've become a fan of the local do-it-yourself carwash.
For me it's about being in a shaded area and the spot-free rinse.
I try to be careful with the soft top windows. That's about all.

I don't wash my Jeep that often. I'd rather drive it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I just started doing a daily driver wash routine, which I'm going to try to get done once every 2 weeks or so.

One at a time I do each inner fender and wheel. Each gets hosed down, scrubbed with a brush (separate brush for fenders and wheels/tires) and rinsed. If extra dirty, I use Adam's All Purpose Cleaner and a few extra scrubs with the brushes.

Next, I'll hose down the vehicle to remove any loose dirt. Next, I use a foam gun and cover the vehicle with soap foam from top to bottom. I let that sit for a bit and prep a bucket with a grit guard, soap and 2 wash mitts. I add a bit of soap to each mitt and fill the bucket, creating the suds I want for the wash. I use one mitt and wash the top 1/2 of the Jeep. If the mitt gets dirty, I rinse and scrub it against the grit guard in the bucket. Once the top 1/2 is done, I use the 2nd mitt to wash the bottom 1/2.

My Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop simply gets a quick scrub with a soft bristled brush and some soapy water. I spray 303 on it occasionally, once it's fully dry.

Once the entire Jeep is washed, I use the remaining soap in the foam gun to cover the vehicle again and then do a full rinse of the entire vehicle.

To dry, I use a couple of waffle weave drying towels that I mist with some detail spray that helps act as a drying aid.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a "sticky" thread about "proper way to wash your Jeep" in here somewhere that is filled with valuable info. It's definitely worth the read.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is a "sticky" thread about "proper way to wash your Jeep" in here somewhere that is filled with valuable info. It's definitely worth the read.
I don't know how to link it but, the thread I'm talking about is not in the JK section. It's in the General Jeep discussion section further down the home page.

·
Registered
623 Posts
So a car wash doesn't damage a soft top? I go to a car wash with the spinning brushes on the side and the long 3 inch wide cloth drape thingy. Curious to know if the soft top holds up.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I *always* do it myself! I use the 2-bucket method. No one else loves my Jeep! Once a week, whether it sees weather or not. No car wash ever!! Too harsh on the paint.

Reactions: CapeCodder

·
Registered
441 Posts
I use a pressure washer at home w/ a foam cannon and the two bucket method. I don't have a soft top anymore, but I used the Mothers Wheel & Wheel Well Long Handled Brush I got from Amazon when I did. It's only $10 and helped with the hard to reach places.

Edit: I wouldn't take my soft top through a car wash. The roller brushes are dirty, and the plastic windows scratch easily. It'll scratch the paint as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts