Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting on my Seicane 10.1" Android Head Unit to arrive and thinking thru the install.

Since the Seicane does not have a satellite radio tuner built in, and I recently renewed my subscription to Sirius, I decided to get an external tuner and plug it into the AUX input port.

Now the challenge will be where to mount the tuner? I have the Onyx model. It is about 4.5"x2.5" and sits in a cradle which has the power and ant. lines connected. It came with an adhesive backed mounting plate as well as AC vent clips, but neither are really good options; I don't think the AC clips will work on the shape of the Jeep vents (or if they do, I don't want it there because I use the ac all the time). The self stick mount has a base that is like three inches in diameter and there isn't really and large flat surfaces on my 2015's dash due to all the curved styling other than the lower center dash panel.

I have a phone cradle mounted in the top tray (forget the brand, but made specifically to use the bolt in the tray) which I use for my phone, so that is not an option.

I am considering two different locations now:

1) on the lower center dash panel in front of the shifter. It would hinder the use of the mesh pocket and small tray there, but I don't really use them that much. Not sure how well the stick on adhesive holds, but could even screw it directly into the panel (replacement panels are not too expensive if I ever wanted to remove the device mount). This location would probably allow a cleaner wiring install, since I could tuck it all in behind the panel, more direct run for the antenna, etc. if I drill out a hole in the panel for the wires. Maybe a little harder to see/change stations, but on the plus side, the display would be down low so won't create much glare for night driving.

2) I saw a great idea on a forum where someone had drilled a vertical hole into the passenger side grab bar (just inside of the bolt that holds it to the dashboard) and added a Ram Ball there on a stud. I like this idea, but wonder how to run the wires neatly? I haven't looked yet, but would it be possible to run wires thru the grab handle and into the dash so they are hidden/unexposed? If so, this may be a way to go...maybe even add another on the other side for the passenger to have a phone cradle. The one concern brought up about this would be being careful to not obstruct the airbag...or add projectiles to the path of the bag. If it only comes out along the embossed 'slit', then the ends of the bar are reasonably far enough away from what I guess is the path of the bag.

Has anyone done either of these? Pics if so? Thoughts or other ideas?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I use an old OLD stiletto 100 that I got in 2006 when I got my lifetime subscription (so I don't have it married to any vehicle) I haven't had time to mount it yet as I got my jeep this year. I am looking at a mount that either attaches to the passenger side grab-bar bolt, or they have ones that hold phones plus "other" stuff (GPS etc) to put in the little tray on the top-center dash. I'm just looking for one that I think will hold my phone and it.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I don't run my sirius anymore (didn't bother renewing.... a waste of money imo) but when I did I ran it just above the head unit. I used (commercial) velcro so I could move it if/when it got in the way.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Depending on what sort of mobile data plan you have, it might be easier to Bluetooth stream from your phone using the SiriusXM app.

I've got the factory radio with the Sirius tuner built in, but I sometimes stream some of the 'online only' channels that you can't get from the satellites.. Streaming works well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't run my sirius anymore (didn't bother renewing.... a waste of money imo) but when I did I ran it just above the head unit. I used (commercial) velcro so I could move it if/when it got in the way.

View attachment 4417683
Cool. Thanks for the pic. But like I noted, I already have a phone mount up in the tray that I keep my phone in...so looking at other locations. How do you like the Android head unit. Is it a Seicane?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The ball mount idea would be perfect. Yes you can run wires behind the a-pillar trim and thru the dash to the radio. I think you can get a ball mount to replace the factory bolt but you could also put a nut-sert in the push-pin hole at the top of the a-pillar trim panel once you get your ball mount and determine stud size.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the pic. But like I noted, I already have a phone mount up in the tray that I keep my phone in...so looking at other locations. How do you like the Android head unit. Is it a Seicane?
I did get tired of it up on the dash at one point and moved it down to the center console just over the heater controls. Had to build a little cantilever for it though so it faced more upward than forward.

I have the Dasaita. I'm one of those guys who tries THEM ALL at one point or another..... I'm kind of an electronics geek! I must say though I love this thing better than ANY of the more traditional head units! Granted it's not without its little headaches and glitches every so often and a good pioneer or kenwood unit definitely puts out better sound, but I find these chinese android units to be FAR more versatile in terms of being an overall informtion center. I can't see myself going back to a traditional unit ANY time soon!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I am with you on tech. On my last Jeep (2007 jku) I installed a dbl din Android from autopumkin. It was awesome albeit like you said, it had its quirks and headaches. Looking forward to the arrival of the Seicane. Still on the international leg of shipping. I am pretty certain at this point that I will mount the Sirius to the lower dash panel. Just seems to look better, out of the way, and easier access to wiring. Will post pics and write up as I move along

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I went ahead and installed it on the lower dash.

At first I was going to put the magnetic sat antenna out on the panel next to the windshield wipers, but couldn't get the wire thru the foam filled hole on the side of the dash...the plug end of the antenna wire is pretty big and I didn't want to tear up all the foam trying.

This worked out for the best...since figured out I could put it up on the sport bar (near where the OEM sat ant is) and route the wire thru the roll cage padding, down the a-pillar, and thru the dash. This keeps the antenna protected from the weather and stuff :)

The Ram style bracket came from Walmart online and is specifically for Sirius tuners- $9.95: https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/133344464

One thing that is kinda a pain is the power supply for the Sirius Tuner...it is a cigarette lighter type plug and is pretty large. I use a dual USB puck in the aux power port on the dash and don't want a huge plug sticking out anyway, so am wiring in an accessory socket that will live in the glove compartment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts