Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on various forums about people connecting the external speaker (not the PA output, the external speaker one) to the Aux input on the head unit to get better volume. I'm wondering if this is safe to do on the basic head unit + Satellite (i.e. not the touch screen models)? I read in the 520XL's manual that it's an 8 ohm 7w output. I don't want to blow up the Aux input on the radio. Any opinions on how safe this is? My kit is showing up from RCR on Monday and depending on whether this is a good idea or not will influence where I install it at in the Jeep.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Also wondering if I can connect both the CB and an MP3 player to the aux jack with a Y jack adapter. I usually use either my cell via bluetooth or my mp3 player via Aux while on the trail.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,498 Posts
No, don't do it. The power out of the CB's speaker output is too much for the aux input circuit to handle, plus their impedances are totally different. The speaker output jack is low impedance and the aux input jack is high impedance... a total mismatch.

If you want better sound out of your CB, plug in a small inexpensive communications speaker speaker like is made for CB and ham radios.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, don't do it. The power out of the CB's speaker output is too much for the aux input circuit to handle, plus their impedances are totally different. The speaker output jack is low impedance and the aux input jack is high impedance... a total mismatch.

If you want better sound out of your CB, plug in a small inexpensive communications speaker speaker like is made for CB and ham radios.
Thanks Jerry. I suspected that it would be a bad idea to do it, but after reading posts on various forums that people were doing so, I had to double check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts