Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Smittybilt front bumper and winch on our otherwise basically stock 2014 JKUR. What I want to do is to mount two headlights on the front bumper to increase visibility at night. I would like to have a switch that would turn on and off these two lights, so I don't blind oncoming traffic. The front bumper has holes in it for two additional lights.

Any suggestions on which lights to add and how to wire them up so they are not running when I don't want them to?

I was thinking about splicing them into the fog lights, but then the fog lights would not work very well with the two high beam led lights.

Replacing the original headlights with better stronger headlights might be a good solution, but I had a local dealer install the winch and front bumper, and I don't know what will be needed to remove the wiring that goes from the winch through the front grill up to the battery.

I think I read that you need to remove the front grill to replace the front headlights.

So by adding two lights to the front bumper might be easier.

Suggestions??

·
Registered
20 Posts
I added a set of driving lights to my '13 and some LED bars to my '18. On my '18 I bought a dead pedal and modified it. I lengthened it and mounted an old fashioned dimmer switch to the foot pad. The dimmer switch controls the negative side of the light bar relay and I use a dash mounted switch for the positive feed into the relay. That way I can turn them on or off with the switch and know they're off during the day and use the dimmer switch for switching them for oncoming traffic after dark. I tried the dimmer alone at first and learned my lesson after inadvertently bumping the dimmer switch on during daylight hours. You could also run the switch in series with the other one, either way. I've been wiring a lot of my switches using negative polarity lately to cut down on the length and complexity of wiring.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We can get very thick fog where we live so I added an extra set of PIAA fog lights to the bumper that sit on the bar above where a winch would be housed. I also got a pillar switch pod with 4 switches (only needed one, for now) that is mounted on the driver's side. My hubby directly wired the PIAAs to the switch pod, he said it wasn't too difficult a job, but tedious. Mounting an extra set of headlights on your bumper will blind oncoming drivers, especially if they are angled too high, so take into consideration the ease of switching them on and off. One reason I opted for the pillar switch pod is so I could easily turn on and off the fog lights without having to reach down to the dash mounted panel. Also, depending on what kind of lights you go with, turning them on and off in rapid succession could blow the bulbs. I learned this the hard way when I was fooling around with the switch and unknowingly blew the PIAA bulbs, so when I really needed my fog lights, there was no light. DOH! I should mention that we did replace the crappy stock headlamps with LED ones; it was the first upgrade we did and that was over 5 years ago. Switching them out was much easier compared to wiring up the PIAAs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I added a set of driving lights to my '13 and some LED bars to my '18. On my '18 I bought a dead pedal and modified it. I lengthened it and mounted an old fashioned dimmer switch to the foot pad. The dimmer switch controls the negative side of the light bar relay and I use a dash mounted switch for the positive feed into the relay. That way I can turn them on or off with the switch and know they're off during the day and use the dimmer switch for switching them for oncoming traffic after dark. I tried the dimmer alone at first and learned my lesson after inadvertently bumping the dimmer switch on during daylight hours. You could also run the switch in series with the other one, either way. I've been wiring a lot of my switches using negative polarity lately to cut down on the length and complexity of wiring.
Great idea for the dimmer switch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts