Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2016 Wrangler on order. We are moving to North Carolina near the coast and plan to drive on the sand now and then. Is factory underbody rust proofing sufficient or do I need extra protection? If so what? Thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have actually been thinking of doing zebart for rust protection on my jeep. Mostly due the salt on the roads in the winter..... i have always thought it wasn't worth the money however a few people I know use zebart and its paid off

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hi. I have a 2016 Wrangler on order. We are moving to North Carolina near the coast and plan to drive on the sand now and then. Is factory underbody rust proofing sufficient or do I need extra protection? If so what? Thanks.
There are folks here in the forum that climb down there and spray the entire underside with fluid film. (can be bought at lowes, o'reillys etc) Some of them live in wintry climates with roads salts etc to deal with and are happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Fluid Film 2 cans ($18) does the entire underside and can be touched up once a year.
Don't know what ziebart costs these days but to answer your question - You need to treat it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I haven't used it, but a lot of forum members also like POR15. You can apply it yourself. There's a high-end auto detailing place near me that will do your underbody with POR15 - I've heard that they start at $175 for a small car, and it goes up from there.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You might look underneath and see if it's changed - the sheet metal underneath my 2014 was the same paint/color as the rest of the jeep ("what factory underbody rust proofing?").

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of your rust potential is the suspension, welds, axles, frame, exhaust, etc. Body panels not as much.
Thank you and all others that replied. What kind of underbody protection does the dealer try and sell you when you are locked in the finance officer's office and he/she is trying to sell you everything from mud flaps to a built in cigar humidor?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have actually been thinking of doing zebart for rust protection on my jeep. Mostly due the salt on the roads in the winter..... i have always thought it wasn't worth the money however a few people I know use zebart and its paid off
I have one Zeibart dealer about 45 minutes away. What do they charge give or take?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are folks here in the forum that climb down there and spray the entire underside with fluid film. (can be bought at lowes, o'reillys etc) Some of them live in wintry climates with roads salts etc to deal with and are happy with the results.
With my multi fused back I am not climbing down anywhere. May have to go Zeibart or see what the dealership offers.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't used it, but a lot of forum members also like POR15. You can apply it yourself. There's a high-end auto detailing place near me that will do your underbody with POR15 - I've heard that they start at $175 for a small car, and it goes up from there.
Sorry I missed your post. Ok now I have a general idea of the Zeibert cost. Does it have to be re-treated every so many years? That could get expensive over the life of the Wrangler.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might look underneath and see if it's changed - the sheet metal underneath my 2014 was the same paint/color as the rest of the jeep ("what factory underbody rust proofing?").
I a guessing then that the dealer will try and sell me something then. Question is, is it a total rip off or worth the money. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You may also want to check out Waxoyl. It's very popular with the Land Rover Defender crowd, and those things seem to turn to rust just sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting how few Zeibart dealers there are. None in or near Wilmington, NC and even more surprising only one in Metropolitan Washington, DC. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You may also want to check out Waxoyl. It's very popular with the Land Rover Defender crowd, and those things seem to turn to rust just sitting in the garage.
It's really hard for me to bend and crawl around with my back. Whatever treatment I have applied it's going to be done by another human being or robot. If I can get the dealership where I purchased the Wrangler to rust prevent for a decent price or have it done by Zeibart, that's where I am going. Zeibart though requires an annual "refresher" treatment for about $40 or so but if there are no Zeibart dealers near where I am moving to in NC that could be a problem. I just don't want to be ripped off any more than I have to be. No way am I paying the Jeep dealer a grand to rust proof my 2016 Sahara. $500 maybe depending on the warranty.

·
Registered
348 Posts
One reason a lot of people don't recommend dealer rustproofing is that it varies so widely from dealer to dealer. Some are actual undercoat type materials, some are films, sprays, special waxes, and some really bad dealers have even been known to charge people for things and simply not do anything at all.

Some dealers are probably using fluid film or similar materials, but you'd need to find out from the particular dealer what they use.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
If a buddy with a bad back needed help I'd climb under and spray a couple cans of fluid film - Ask.
It ain't rocket science.
Hell helping a buddy move or watching his Dog is worse.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
If a buddy with a bad back needed help I'd climb under and spray a couple cans of fluid film - Ask. It ain't rocket science. Hell helping a buddy move or watching his Dog is worse.
yep, hell if he were closer to me we could pull them both into my yard and i'd shoot his with fluid film at the same time. It's fun in my opinion. But obviously not with a bad back.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts