Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Husband wants me to put sand bags in back of my JK for winter driving. is this necessary with anti-lock breaks?

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Husband wants me to put sand bags in back of my JK for winter driving. is this necessary with anti-lock breaks?
Personally, I never add weight to the back. The wheel base is short enough, but it can't hurt any. The anti locks brakes have nothing to do with how it goes in the snow or ice.
They just keep the brakes from locking up when you have to make emergency stops.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It really doesn't have anything to do with brakes, anti-lock or otherwise. What it has to to with is that when you are in 2hi it will behave similarly to a pickup truck. There isn't a lot of weight in the back and the drive wheels in 2wd are the back ones.

I don't see how it could hurt to throw some weight in the back. Do I think that it's crucial? Probably not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have an accident and roll the jeep a few times, do you want sand bags in the passenger compartment with you?

·
Registered
533 Posts
The jeep is really not really good in packed snow,short wheel base and little weight.Even a front wheel drive car is better

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
The jeep is really not really good in packed snow,short wheel base and little weight.Even a front wheel drive car is better
Lol Then you need better tires. I run hard pack snow all winter. Jeep will handle just fine on any kind of bad roads.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Seems to me that it depends on all sorts of factors. Just off the top of my head;

Tires
Whether it's got a open diff or a limited slip in the rear.
Weight over the back wheels
Driving style
Whether you're in 2wd or 4wd.

Having said all that, my experience is that on slick snowpack, the JKU is pretty light in the back end and tends to lose traction pretty easily until you pull the magic "go anywhere anytime" lever that's adjacent to the drivers right knee...

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
This is pretty typical of any rear wheel drive vehicle. Pickup trucks without weight are even worse. FWD may seem better but once they start to go you have little control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts