Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to swap an 8.8 into my YJ and yes I know how to search and have tried. Not many people have done one out of an f150. Mostly explorers. However, I have an 87 f150 laying here and was wondering how complicated that swap would be? If possible. I know the width of the housing is 59.25 which is slightly short but I can handle that. Will everything else work? After light fabrication?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've got a 94 F150 8.8 in my YJ.

Full Width Axles Under a YJ - how wide is too wide? - JeepForum.com

Most people don't use the F150 8.8 because of its 5 x 5.5 lug pattern.

And because it's much wider than a stock YJ axle.

If you have a full width front axle with 5 x 5.5" lug pattern, then the F150 8.8 would be a great match for up to 37" tires.

·
Super Moderator
12,951 Posts
^^ What StanF states.

The F-150 and another full sized front axle is a bit much for most Jeepers, especially daily drivers. I think it makes for a great trail rig.

I'm of the mindset that given enough motivation, time and money, any drivetrain can be adapted to any vehicle. However, (and there's always a "however"), there's a degree of practicality. With the larger axles and tires comes the need for more power....then lower gears, then more flex.... then more of something else.

StanF points to where you're headed with this. Keep us posted, and if you go ahead, please, please post lots of pics.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
When it doubt, Ford gives you a some really handy information. Inside the door tag, there is an axle code. If you use Google then you can find what you need to know about the axle. I'm not sure if this includes width but it has gear ratio, etc.

As far as "I have one lying around" parts go, you usually spend more money trying to make it work.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Luckymac

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Sell the F-150 and buy one that fits, you may come out money ahead, around here the F-150 8.8 sells for more than the Explorer one does, there more in demand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts