Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for reading,
My girlfriend and I recently purchased a brand new JKU. The dealer did not have on with leather interior in stock which was on my girls list of must haves. We got soaked for an additional 2000 for the leather upgrade with Rubicon stitching. When scheduling to be installed I asked about retaining the old cloth seat covers, as they are in pristine condition and my thoughts were that they may be of interest to someone who is doing a build. The dealer said that they get destroyed during the removal process which didn't sound quite right to me. I was wondering if anyone had experience on something similar, is there any value in stock cloth seats with the rubicon stitching on them?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Couple things:
I have read the cloth headrests may get damaged during removal, but for sure not the rest of the upholstery.
Second, I bought a brand new set oem black rubicon leather take offs for $450, yet to be installed which I will do myself one of these days.
Third, the brand new rubicon cloth covers should be worth at least $200.

Probably not the answers you wanted to hear, sorry.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don't blame GF for leather seats, a great upgrade from the crappy fabric. My memory is that the leather seat option was like $1,200???

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Sounds like bullshit. I'd find a new dealer
Shouldn't the question of "ownership" of cloth covers been part of the original price quote?

Regardless of what the dude in the service dept said, I would consider it very possible that the price was quoted based on not returning the cloth covers. While its OK to want to keep them, IMHO, that request should have been made at the time of the original price negotiation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for reading,
My girlfriend and I recently purchased a brand new JKU. The dealer did not have on with leather interior in stock which was on my girls list of must haves. We got soaked for an additional 2000 for the leather upgrade with Rubicon stitching. When scheduling to be installed I asked about retaining the old cloth seat covers, as they are in pristine condition and my thoughts were that they may be of interest to someone who is doing a build. The dealer said that they get destroyed during the removal process which didn't sound quite right to me. I was wondering if anyone had experience on something similar, is there any value in stock cloth seats with the rubicon stitching on them?
Been there and done that and as much BS as it is FCA and Jeep have come down hard on dealers and vendors for trademark violations. People have been sued and it ain't pretty. Doing the moose katzkin leather with "Rubicon" stitched in "should" run about $1,200 installed via aftermarket vendors, just leather with no lettering is $1,000. It should be a sleeve and the original material should still be underneath the leather. If the dealer wants to avoid the legal danger the leather can be ordered through Mopar. If they did the cost is right at $4,000 - no BS.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just from past experiences after working for a large DFW Chevrolet dealer for 35 years, changing seats to leather always proved to be somewhat of a problem in the long run. Usually the problems arose in the stitching and the fit of the leather over a period of time. Now you could say it's the leather shops problem, but in most cases it was how the buyer used his seats, in other words abuse, etc. Re-done seats just don't hold up like factory seats do, that being said, look for problems in the future if you recover. My personal feeling is that no one beats the original factory seats, for quality and durability, that's just my 2 cents on the matter. If in a couple of years you end up with old wrinkled leather seats, don't blame the dealer or Jeep, blame yourself for a bad decision.
Many buyers just don't understand how things are made and think anything can be done to accommodate their wants, not so in many cases.

trainman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts