Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I convinced the guy who sold me my seats to sell me the console. He was going to keep it. 100$ good+ condition with the sub enclosure, original amp and wiring harness in good condition. Both sections. What a deal! Ill wire everything up while I wait for a new woofer, stock was blown. Looks straightforward. I installed it today except for two screws in the new rear cup holders to be installed when I put the enclosure in perminately.

Any suggestions for a 6 or 6.5" sub?
I'll run the factory amp and see what happens. I'm not picky. I know nothing about the amp except its weak and hardly looks like an amp.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, this is the wiring harness for the amp. The end with open ends goes to the dash. The white connector clip to the enclosure, and the two black connector clips.. The larger one goes to the airbags, I surpassed these wires already. But what is the orange and black for? It was closely taped to the airbag wires, but it appears it was unused in its previous setup. There is no plug for it in the airbag key area

image-474960826.jpg

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it's a light. It looks like I could fit one of those little side marker bulbs. Could be interesting

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I think it's a light. It looks like I could fit one of those little side marker bulbs. Could be interesting
Could it be for the light for the gear indicator strip in the forward console section if it had an automatic transmission???

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The donor was standard, but that may well could be it and it was left hanging. I'm not sure about automatics what they have and don't have. Doesn't make much sense having a shift indicator for an auto but who knows

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone have schematics for the"plug and play" harness? I saw two on here, colors don't match from either side of the plug in clip. One was for 97-00, other for 2001+ amps. mine is from a 2001+, going into a 99.

I'm running out of things to do before I need to wire this to the stereo. I know wiring enough to know I don't want to start guessing. Help a wigga out :p

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope this thread isn't dead. Anyway I pieced together a couple schematics and this is what I wrote up and plan on trying unless anybody has a better plan. None of the diagrams I found have colors matching, so what I did was matched the "1" slot, "2" slot, etc, with my current colors, to the corresponding function on the diagram. I'm only wondering where the remote is? I believe I read that the ground goes to the remote? Also, the power, does that go to red "power" or yellow "12v battery+"? I'd certainly assume its the red but I could be mistaken.

Finally, I bought a sub that came with a tweeter so I hooked that to the tweeter side of the sub, the last two are connected and the two extra wires are taped off, but you mustn't worry about that. Just if you we're wondering what those extra red and blacks were.

image-3676354703.jpg

image-1336697106.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im in the same boat, I replaced my console with a sub console last month. Yesterday I got around to installing the sub I have for it. I just bought a kicker 6" sub. I removed the factory amp and have to fill the holes with calk. I reused the plate that the amp was attached to. I hooked the box up to another amp and that tiny sub was blowing air out like crazy. I does not like having any air leaks. I guess being that small it needs all the help it can get.

I will add a aftermarket amp, but my problem is finding somewhere to stick that dang thing. I don't want to see it, I am going to have to find a tiny 100 watt amp for it that will fit in the top of that console. I don't care about that small tray inside, I will just lock it and forget about it. Good luck with yours post some pics of it. I will take some of mine when I get ready to put it in. I did have to calk around the sub to help seal it. Mine was not a perfect fit.

Edit:

Did anyone have to shave some of the plastic to make room for the new speaker? I had to get my air tools out and cut all that out.

So that harness you have just plugs into the factory stereo plug? I have the factory wiring harness for the amp but that amp seems like a waste of time.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So that harness you have just plugs into the factory stereo plug? I have the factory wiring harness for the amp but that amp seems like a waste of time.

Yeah basically. I'll end up buying a new small amp if this doesn't work. I was thinking maybe it coul be mounted on that plate under the steering column

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Works. Small amp doesn't allow full sub capacity, but sounds good unless you like it loud. I probably shouldn't have gone with RFs

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't think a 6" woofer has much balls behind it anyway, my sub says 400 watts lol-
I think that little sub would come apart at that many watts. I have a 12" kicker on a 300 watt amp and I don't even have it turned past half gain. I'm going to look around this week for a amp. Let me no what you end up buying.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
This is the write up I used on three different installs. http://www.higherground4x4.com/Install Sub.htm

I have since gotten rid of the factory amp and added a tiny external amp. Look in my profile for my whole setup if you would like.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Or you could just pull everything out of the console and install a Sound Ordinance 8" powered sub in there like I just did. Sounds great!
I'm sure anything will be better than nothing at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts