Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new bumper yesterday and got it installed and I love it. It did not come with the cut out for the factory fog lights but it does have two light tabs for off road lights. My wiring for my factory fog lights are just hanging out under my bumper begging to be used. Can I just cut the wires and splice them into some sweet off road lights attached to my bumper or is it more involved than that? If that works, i'm assuming I can just use the factory fog light switch on my blinker instead of installing an aftermarket rocker switch? I've read about voltage, wattage etc...I would get LED so I'm not sure if wire gauge would be an issue or not? Any advise is appreciated.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm reading that the stock fogs are 24W. Wouldn't go much higher than that, though you could always use the existing wires to flip a relay.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Can I just cut the wires and splice them into some sweet off road lights attached to my bumper or is it more involved than that?
Thinking of cutting some factory wires just makes me cringe. IMHO, it would be better to buy an adaptor, extension, or anti-flicker cable, and use that to connect to the factory wires. This way, its easy to go back to stock someday (you or some future owner).

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Definitely go with an adapter cable. Went from factory fog lights to Hella 500's on the bumper. I cut the plugs off and spliced them to the factory wiring. Worked great, no problems but when I installed the winch I needed the space where I installed them for the fairlead. Went back to factory fog lights and had to splice the plugs back in. Wish I had used adapter plugs. Works ok but not as clean an install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts