Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the factory fog light wiring handle 100w KC's?

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Isn't that 14 gauge wire or pretty close? I was going to wire all of mine with 12ga to be sure but 14 ga should be fine with that kind of wattage, right?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes it goes through a relay and can handle it fine.
Don't believe everything you read online

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fog lights

Need's #12 wire and heavier switch and fused stock switch will overheat not hard to do take your time make it look good

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes it goes through a relay and can handle it fine.
Don't believe everything you read online

Only if you wire them that way. The factory wiring is meant to handle a 55watt stock light. The extra draw from a high wattage light WILL fry the wiring eventually. Add a relay and use the stock fog light pigtail to trigger the relay. There is a reason that even the KC wire kit contains a relay and HEAVIER wiring. More current equals more heat. There may or may not be a relay in the factory harness to power the stock foglights. The problem is the gauge of the wire going from there to the lights is not heavy enough.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wiring FOG LIGHTS

OK, ~~ Go down to your local Auto Parts House, Purchase yourself
a Cubed type Relay in the Electrical Dept. (less than $5,00, I pay $2.67)
like this

Pick up some #12 Automotive Wire, your choice of color, (small roll
also under $5.00) unless you have some laying around. Follow this
diagram to wire up your FOG LIGHTS,

Pin #85 is the FACTORY wire feeding one of your Factory Fog Lights. Be sure you insulate the OTHER WIRE real good to the other Fog Light. You only need to use ONE to feed the Relay.

With this hookup, you will be safe hooking up even 130 watt Fogs.

OH use the #12 wire from Battery to Pin#30, and from Pin #87 to each Fog.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
^^
Exactly, except the factory fogs are already wired through a relay. It's the wire size that isn't up to 100W lights. Just finished wiring 3 relays/ switches on mine. I run the relay trigger for street used lights through the ignition, KC's and backup lights to HAAT

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, ~~ Go down to your local Auto Parts House, Purchase yourself
a Cubed type Relay in the Electrical Dept. (less than $5,00, I pay $2.67)
like this

Pick up some #12 Automotive Wire, your choice of color, (small roll
also under $5.00) unless you have some laying around. Follow this
diagram to wire up your FOG LIGHTS,

Pin #85 is the FACTORY wire feeding one of your Factory Fog Lights. Be sure you insulate the OTHER WIRE real good to the other Fog Light. You only need to use ONE to feed the Relay.

With this hookup, you will be safe hooking up even 130 watt Fogs.

OH use the #12 wire from Battery to Pin#30, and from Pin #87 to each Fog.
If your wiring up 55w lights you can just wire into the factory fog light harness without doing any of this

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sorry if I stepped on any TOES, but the POST was geared towards running 100 watt or
higher Lights
Can the factory fog light wiring handle 100w KC's?
I'm sure I didn't misread the Threads Main Topic, but hey, at my age, anythings possible, right?
And thank you for setting the record straight, I sure don't want to guide anyone in error.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts