Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 97 with factory fog lights. The fuse is good with power but I have no power at the rocker switch . could it be a bad relay and if so where would that be located ?

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
Fog lights only get power with low beam headlights no power without headlights or with high beams

2 relays involved and mounted as a pair behind the glove box inside the cab

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Have a 97 with factory fog lights. The fuse is good with power but I have no power at the rocker switch . could it be a bad relay and if so where would that be located ?
The fsm shows the relay in the pdc under the hood on a "97"', but i was talking to someone just last night on the phone who said he had a "97" and his pdc was like a "98" model and the relay was to the right of the fuse box behind the glove box....so it could be either place.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
Sure that is not the FSM labeled as 97 that is really a 2002 as indicated by the vin ID portion and the 4.0 with a coil rail and 4 oxygen sensors

I know for sure my 98 has two relays for fog behind glove box and one in PDC on 2004

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Sure that is not the FSM labeled as 97 that is really a 2002 as indicated by the vin ID portion and the 4.0 with a coil rail and 4 oxygen sensors

I know for sure my 98 has two relays for fog behind glove box and one in PDC on 2004
My 99 also has the two relays. I'm not sure why this one didn't match. The fsm was downloaded from jeepsunlimited, and I'm aware of several wiring changes between 97 and 98.

The funny part about it was although this person I was talking to found a fog relay next to the fuse box, there was only one.

When I get a chance I'll check that fsm a little more closely.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
WD I think they corrected that a while back but at one time they did have one from either a 2002 or 2003 (can’t recall but Digger is probably right). At the beginning of the manuals there is a decoding chart & the 10th digit is the yr & each yr manual shows the “current” yr which was proof it was the wrong one posted for 1997. The 1998 manual is quite close to the 1997s with a few differences here & there.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
Fog lights only get power with low beam headlights no power without headlights or with high beams

2 relays involved and mounted as a pair behind the glove box inside the cab
Digger,
Either your TJ is wired different or, maybe there's a change in certain model years. My factory fog lights will light up, with the parking lights on. I rotate the MFS one click and, that's the parking lights. Then, I pull on the MFS and, the fogs come on. Then, rotate it once more and, the headlights come on.
Scott

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
You are probably right it is with park or head and low beam only as high beam shuts fogs off unless modded

I have yet to find a true 1997 FSM on line

Only missing 2 years and that is one of them and long rubi pointed out to me that the 1997 one I had downloaded is not a 1997

Every TJ FSM has a vin decoder explanation in the front section and every year has that years vin digit in the example and the one that you download as a 97 does not as it is mislabeled I think it is a 2002

Last I checked jeepslimited got shut down or at least that was the message in their webpage

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Relays come after the switch. They do not affect power getting there.

Headlight switch needs to be on low beams or parking, not highs.

Check for power coming out of the headlight switch. You'll need the wiring diagrams to get the color code.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Digger,
Either your TJ is wired different or, maybe there's a change in certain model years. My factory fog lights will light up, with the parking lights on. I rotate the MFS one click and, that's the parking lights. Then, I pull on the MFS and, the fogs come on. Then, rotate it once more and, the headlights come on.
Scott
The reason that your fog lights won't illuminate with the lights off has to do with the mechanics of the switch, not wiring. Electrically speaking, your fog lights can operate independently. Plenty of 2001-2006 TJ owners have learned that when their fog light switch failed to the "on" position and drained their battery while parked.

(Note: nothing in this post is intended to be applicable to a '97 model.)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts

WD I think they corrected that a while back but at one time they did have one from either a 2002 or 2003 (can’t recall but Digger is probably right). At the beginning of the manuals there is a decoding chart & the 10th digit is the yr & each yr manual shows the “current” yr which was proof it was the wrong one posted for 1997. The 1998 manual is quite close to the 1997s with a few differences here & there.
Yep, you guys are right. The supposedly "97" fsm I had was actually a "2003". Thanks for the education....:thumb:

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Power to the first relay (relay #2) is from the HL switch when it is in either parking or head light positions. As long as the high beams are not on (which opens relay #2) power goes to the fog light switch. Then when it is on it closes relay #1 to turn on the fogs & lights the indicator light in the FL switch.

If you are not getting power to the FL switch find relay #2 near the fuse block & see if it gets power to terminal 30 when the lights are switched on. If yes you should get power from terminal 87a going to the FL switch. Note that it uses 87a as the normally closed terminal of the relay, not the 87 normally open terminal.

Here is the circuit for ’98, same as ’97.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Relays come after the switch. They do not affect power getting there.

Headlight switch needs to be on low beams or parking, not highs.

Check for power coming out of the headlight switch. You'll need the wiring diagrams to get the color code.
Whoops, my bad. That's what happens when you think you know without checking the diagram.

Rubi 4's prints show it right. The switch does get power from the relay no. 2, which is the one that drops them out on high beams..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts