Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new 2013 Wrangler Sahara. Great car-- love it- But, the headlights are really bad. Is there a quick fix(like a higher intensity bulb) that I can put in to correct this? If so, does the dealer have these through Jeep parts?

I really don't want to get into changing the entire lighting system and start re-wiring. Does anyone have an easy fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just got my new 2013 Wrangler Sahara. Great car-- love it- But, the headlights are really bad. Is there a quick fix(like a higher intensity bulb) that I can put in to correct this? If so, does the dealer have these through Jeep parts?

I really don't want to get into changing the entire lighting system and start re-wiring. Does anyone have an easy fix?

Thanks
Nope... you have to change out the headlights in general. A lot of guys on this forum swear by these:

Truck-Lite LED Headlamp Kit for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

They don't require you to change your wiring.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
There is a headlight sticky at the top of the page.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
There are multiple threads on this same topic going right now. Do a quick search and you'll find them all.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Thanks
Yes, throw out the factory bulbs and install Philips 9008 X-tremes. It costs $20-30 and takes 15 minutes.

Your headlights will go from poor to good/acceptable.

If you want them to go to excellent you'll need to pay big bucks.

Start with the cheap bulb swap and decide for yourself if you need to go further.

P.S. Don't call it a "car". (or truck or SUV). It's a Jeep!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Another helpful fix that will give you more light is to replace the factory fogs with pilot lights from Advanced Auto. They run about $40 and the switch will take you about an hour. The improvement is well worth the time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nope... you have to change out the headlights in general. A lot of guys on this forum swear by these:

Truck-Lite LED Headlamp Kit for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

They don't require you to change your wiring.
These are no joke. Major league improvement over the stockers. I was thinking maybe I was imagining the difference so the other night I pulled up next to my buddy's TJ to compare and it was amazing how bright and white the light is from the truck-lites.

Probably a 10 minute install job, super easy and worth the money if you drive much at night.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Ok, but when the led fails.can you just replace the led. I know factory led stuff you can't. So it'll be another few hundred dollars for a new unit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Headlights

I've looked into this recently also. The bulb size needed is H13. It would be simple to just replace the bulbs with a better type as someone else mentioned.

Has anyone seen or heard of any HID upgrade kits?

I found one at this website:
Wrangler HID Kit

However I haven't seen any reviews..

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ok, but when the led fails.can you just replace the led. I know factory led stuff you can't. So it'll be another few hundred dollars for a new unit.
The LEDs are rated at 10,000+ hours. That's a lot of shine time.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The LEDs are rated at 10,000+ hours. That's a lot of shine time.

Yeah, but $500 is a bit expensive for many folks...and the reports that some folks see them flicker holds others back.

I expected candle light when I got my 2013 JKR, but they aren't that bad. :) Seems to me that new reflectors would help...and reflectors do not burn out. ;)

Another helpful fix that will give you more light is to replace the factory fogs with pilot lights from Advanced Auto. They run about $40 and the switch will take you about an hour. The improvement is well worth the time.
Got a link? :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I found that just replacing the stock H13 bulbs with Phillips X-tremes gave just a little more light, but still very disappointing.

I went with the Hella H4 conversion kit with lenses, wiring harness (for full electrical power to the headlights) & Phillips X-Treme bulbs, and they make a huge difference! I love this Hella kit.

Except for....

The Phillips X-Treme H4 Bulbs burned out within about 6 months. I replaced them with Sylvania Xtra Vision H4 bulbs available at Walmart, and they are still very bright, and with the Hella lenses, they are still a huge improvement over the stock headlights.

Hella kit available here:

Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

When you order by phone, you can specify different H4 bulbs if you want.

I highly recommend this kit.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Doesn't matter if they are rated for"xxx" hours. They can & will fail. All led are suppose to last longer than bulbs. I've seen vehicles that are 1-2 years old & the led brake light has a few dead ones already. My mazda still had factory bulbs that I've never replace. That's 15 years of usage!

Don't want to spend money on something that may fail to soon! Why I haven't upgraded the bulb on the jeep yet.don't want to be putting new bulbs in every few months or so.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Before I even owned a Jeep I was signed up here and reading post about how bad the JK headlights are. I sold my car and bought the Jeep and thought all you guys are whacko. These headlights are insanely better than the lights on my old 05 Grand Prix. I honestly couldn't tell they were on most of the time. But I still can see the room for improvement. A car will pass me on the highway with his broad sweeping road lighting headlight beam that quickly overpowers whatever the Jeep is producing. From what I came from the Jeep is still a vast improvement.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just got my Jeep yesterday, this morning on my way to work I was expecting to be very dissapointed in the headlights since I've read so much about how horrible they are. Boy was I supprised. I'm guessing the previous owner changed the bulbs, housing, or both because my headlights on my 09 are freaking awesome! I had a 09 Ram before this and they were horrible. I'll have to open mine up this weekend to see if I can tell what all was changed. What ever they are I'd highly recomend them. Clean light, great spread and nice distance. The reflection on the road signs were almost too bright.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts