Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Wrangler 4dr Unlimited. It has the soft top factory installed under the hard top. I want the soft top out and the dealer says the hard top must be removed to get the soft top out, and they want to charge me to do it. Go figure, they tack on additional expenses. To me, it looks like the soft top can be removed without taking the hard top off. Its folded neatly in there. Anyone ever try this and can it be done? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have read other threads about this and I think it has been done without removing the hard top, but it probably was tricky. The best way to do it is by removing the hard top first. The soft top is awkward when taking it out and putting it back in. If I were you I would have a couple friends or family members help remove the hard top and the soft top. Are you going to have a hard top hoist in your garage to take it off and store for the summer? If so, install that and use it to remove the hard top.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You need to remove the hard top in order to remove the soft top. Spring is coming though, why not just remove the hard top for the spring/summer and complete the soft top install since it's already bolded in from the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am new to the Wrangler experience. as well as this forum. My apologies if my question seemed elementary to some, and if I posted in the wrong area. Thanks to all who offered their advice.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you are still looking to do this, I don't know if It can be done with the hard top on but There are only 8 screws and unplugging the rear washer hose and wiper plug to remove the hard top.
There are lots of posts about hard top lifts but two people with some strength can easily remove it.
Just remove the freedom panels. don't forget the screws in the sound bar.
Then remove the 2 torx head screws for the hard top over the front seats. Don't forget them or you will damage your top.
On the drivers side rear corner there are the connections for the washer fluid and wiper. These need to be disconnected. (check owners manual for procedure mine is an older model)
Remove the 6 torx head screws on the rear (3 on each side).
Open rear glass and close tailgate. **don't forget this step**
Get one person on either side and lift the top up and walk it over the back. I grab the top from the rear door opening and the back window opening.
There may be some resistance when lifting the top due to alignment pins. a little wiggling and it should break free.
It is intimidating the first time but its not hard.
Harbor freight has some inexpensive torx wrench sets, I carry a folding set in my console and keep a socket style set at home.
I know its not the way you wanted to do it but all you need is some quick help from a friend or two and the dealer does not get more of your money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts