Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm close to ordering my JKS (if I don't capitulate and get one that is out there taunting me).

Anyway, I want the leather seat option ($1100 msrp). What is the difference between the factory leather seats and the Katzkins? What would the cost difference be if I wanted that instead? Is it worth it? I had a chance to sit in a JKS with the factory leather and they don't seem bad! Opinions and experience welcome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
:popcorn:

always wondered

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're lifting your Jeep, don't get leather... Sliding out of the vehicle will kill the leather... go cloth.
No plans on lifting at this time. But I can see what you mean!

·
Registered
937 Posts
wrz0170 said:
No plans on lifting at this time. But I can see what you mean!
Oh ok... Yeah, the Jeep is an odd entry/exit vehicle... If you had the head space of an F-150 at the pillar, you could easily step out (not slide out).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
none of this answers the question, which is better ... factory leather or katzkins?

wrz0170 ... don't let everyone talk you out of leather. go sit and ride in a new one with leather and then same with cloth. leather seats seem way more comfortable to me and if you condition, they will stay great.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
none of this answers the question, which is better ... factory leather or katzkins?

wrz0170 ... don't let everyone talk you out of leather. go sit and ride in a new one with leather and then same with cloth. leather seats seem way more comfortable to me and if you condition, they will stay great.
Thanks! :thumb: I do want leather. I'm just curious between the two because I read great reviews about the Katzkins. But the quality of the factory leather seems right up there.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd get NEITHER !
Get the stock seats and get Trek Armor covers.
Rob .....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I brought katzkin aftermarket from the dealership. The benefit was I was able to pick my colors for the leather and sticthing as well as choose what I want written on the backseat. The covers were $816 and install was $500. NOne of the dealers in my area installed but they all had referrals to installers. I found out from the installer that I could have saved $200 if I ordered directly from them. The leather looks and feels great.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The quality of leather varies greatly. I had an Infiniti G20 with 100k and the leather was trashed. I had a Volvo V70R with 280k, and the leather really looked new.

The factory leather in Wranglers is crap. When it is stiff and tough on day 1, I doubt it lasts long. We went the Katzskin route. Looks great 8k later, FWIW.

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I've had leather in quite a few different vehicles, and I'm very pleased with the leather in my 2013 JKU. I think it compares favorably with all the cars I've driven with leather.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had leather in quite a few different vehicles, and I'm very pleased with the leather in my 2013 JKU. I think it compares favorably with all the cars I've driven with leather.
Hi there. I take it you refer to factory leather or the Katzkins?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Skins on my 11 charger... Love it. Factory leather on my 11 crew cab ram... Love it. Cloth on the 10 jeep... Love it

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I have the solid Katzkins seats and am extremely impressed with the quality (soft and unblemished) and looks. No pics for the simple reason they are covered with Wet Okole's so I don't destroy them coming home from work :(.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Factory leather vs katskinz vs trek armor. Go!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for their contribution :thumb: very much appreciated. I did some forum searches and it appears some are in favor of factory and some are in favor of Katzkins. I guess it will boil down to a decision on my part. Which way to go.......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts