Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 2017 Recon, I ordered the oversize spare tire carrier. Between the tire and the hinge, there are three threaded bolt holes plugged with rubber plugs. What is the intended purpose of those holes? A jack mount, maybe? But which one?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does Teraflex make the tire carrier for Mopar?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Does Teraflex make the tire carrier for Mopar?

It isn't branded Mopar (I have it from the factory on my RHR), and they don't install it there. Before being shipped to the dealer, it is installed by a local 3rd party. Mine wasn't installed properly. I've even seen some installed with the tire carrier upside down.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome....thanks for the help, guys!!! Now, there's money to be spent.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look at Teraflex's accessory mount.
That accessory mount looks really cool. Holds a lot more than just a hi-lift. But, from what I can see, it's been discontinued. They do have a jack only mount that plugs into those holes. Looks like that's the alternative. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
That accessory mount looks really cool. Holds a lot more than just a hi-lift. But, from what I can see, it's been discontinued. They do have a jack only mount that plugs into those holes. Looks like that's the alternative. Thanks for the tip.
The new part number is 4838250. It is a bit different than the one you're probably finding.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new part number is 4838250. It is a bit different than the one you're probably finding.
That's the new one. Not near as versatile as the old one, but it holds a jack. That's what I was hoping for.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Thanks for the link! Tried to find a spec on the carrier threaded hole but couldn't find anything. Didn't think to look at the accessory.

Tried a 1/2-20 a month ago in one of the holes and stopped because it bound up after less than a full turn. Decided to stop before effing it up.

Edit: Just went outside after seeing jasemccarty's post and retried a couple 1/2-20's in the other holes and they threaded just fine. Thanks dude!

Put a bolt back into the one I tried originally and forced it past the snug. Ended up threading just fine.

These are the spots in the Terraflex carrier we are writing about.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Thanks for the link! Tried to find a spec on the carrier threaded hole but couldn't find anything. Didn't think to look at the accessory.

Tried a 1/2-20 a month ago in one of the holes and stopped because it bound up after less than a full turn. Decided to stop before effing it up.

Edit: Just went outside after seeing jasemccarty's post and retried a couple 1/2-20's in the other holes and they threaded just fine. Thanks dude!

Put a bolt back into the one I tried originally and forced it past the snug. Ended up threading just fine.

These are the spots in the Terraflex carrier we are writing about.

Glad to help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts