Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here suffered damage due to inadequate coverage or failure of the factory transfer case skid plate? Here is my story: I have banged up my factory gas tank skid on the trail and will be installing a Rock Hard gas tank skid because the need has become obvious. I also have installed a Rock Hard Engine/Trans skid. I’m considering Rock Hard’s transfer case skid too, but just don’t know if the factory skid plate is inadequate. I wheel around Moab three or four times a year and so far the factory transfer case skid has been fine. I like the factory skid because if the transfer case shifter bushing fails, I can reach and replace it on the trail. With an aftermarket skid it would need to be removed first. So, has anyone had their factory transfer case skid plate fail to provide adequate protection?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I thought with the RH engine/trans skid, you have to remove the factory TC skid?

I've only seen MOAB from afar, but if it survived there, I'd think it's good enough!

I've wacked mine several times at Rausch Creek, and the Rubi in front of me last weekend nailed his pretty good on some good sized rocks in deep mud, left with just scratches on the skid.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
... and so far the factory transfer case skid has been fine.
I have found the same. I've smacked mine a bunch, and have high-centered on it a few times (with the entire weight of the vehicle on it, teetering back & forth). Only a few scrapes to show for it, no real damage. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought with the RH engine/trans skid, you have to remove the factory TC skid?
Yes, the factory skid does need to be removed to install the Rock Hard skid. I was referring to having to remove the Rock Hard skid to repair the T-Case shifter bushing if it fails. With the factory skid, you can reach the bushing and repair it without removing the plate. Sorry for the confusion...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found the same. I've smacked mine a bunch, and have high-centered on it a few times (with the entire weight of the vehicle on it, teetering back & forth). Only a few scrapes to show for it, no real damage. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Good to know. I just don't want to find out the hard way if I would be ignoring an obvious need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts