Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 JK.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do most people NOT use the factory location for switches? I understand if you need more switches than it has, but otherwise...? Pic for attention. Lol.

·
Registered
835 Posts
It’s not so easy as popping off the cover and putting switches in. It’s an integrated panel back there with very little room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This x eleventy-five point three two billion.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wonder if Jeep wiring harness is wired on the back side for these switches, I would think that the Jeep would only use one harness and the plugs would be there on the harness, but there could be several harness us for Jeep with different options. Even if it dose you probably want to wire these switches for a different electrical hookup, so if the wiring is there it probably wouldn't work for your electrical needs. Just curious, what are these switches that go in this location used for?

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Those switches for factory options like heated seats X2, power inverter on/off, decent control, hazards and traction control. I have only one open switch and have no idea what else they could add as mine is loaded.

Those switches are small and inconvenient especially at night. I would even give that a second thought.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Those switches for factory options like heated seats X2, power inverter on/off, decent control, hazards and traction control. I have only one open switch and have no idea what else they could add as mine is loaded.

Those switches are small and inconvenient especially at night. I would even give that a second thought.

I'll guess: Rubicon electronic swaybar disconnect

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Sway bar disconnect is on the left panel.
I have a loaded Hardrock and one of mine is open too.
There is a thread on putting switches in this panel. That guy did a lot of work to make those positions function.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Why do most people NOT use the factory location for switches? I understand if you need more switches than it has, but otherwise...? Pic for attention. Lol. View attachment 4519109
There is a PC board that runs across the entire back of the switch panel so there is not much room to work with. You can install micro switches and then run relays from them but it's a pain.

·
Registered
2012 sport flame red 6 speed
58 Posts

Mine appears to be optioned differently.
Car Light Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have only one open switch and have no idea what else they could add as mine is loaded.

Rumor was that open spot was going to be for a flux capacitor but even the Jeep engineers knew a Wrangler could never get up to 88 mph with its aerodynamic properties so they just nixed the idea..........

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm using the factory switch panels on the aux panel. I'm likely the guy referenced above by @bill61.

The gist of the issue is that there's no room to accommodate the "throw" (push-in/out depth) of a latch switch, so you need to leverage momentary switches.

All the gory detail is in this post:

(Still working solid 7 months after that post.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Why do most people NOT use the factory location for switches? I understand if you need more switches than it has, but otherwise...? Pic for attention. Lol.
I'm surprised to see how many people say this is a pain to do. It took longer to remove the panel than it did to mount the switch and modify the cover to pivot. Looks completely stock, works perfect. I only added one, but it took less than an hour start to finish.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm surprised to see how many people say this is a pain to do. It took longer to remove the panel than it did to mount the switch and modify the cover to pivot. Looks completely stock, works perfect. I only added one, but it took less than an hour start to finish.
I tried and tried and tried...
I could not get any adhesive, glue, super glue, epoxy, whatever to set up and hold a tiny momentary switch in place to be useable. The frustration became too much and I gave up after hours.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts