Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I purchased a Smittybilt 3"x30' recovery strap and a pair of 3/4" D shackles in case I wind up making a mistake (or someone else does). I know this is not the best equipment but I figured it may suffice in an emergency.

My question is with the D shackles/rings. Is there any reason I should use them in conjunction with the factory tow hooks (simply connecting the strap to the D Shackle and laying it over the hook, or should I just use the loop in the strap over the hook. I was concerned about cutting the strap, but it seems flat enough.

I primary bought the shackles in case the other vehicle had points to mount them and didn't have them. I'm no stranger to offloading or getting things unstuck, just never messed with the hooks on the JK.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
On the tow hooks, it would be best not to use the shackles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I figured that after realizing the tow hooks have a flat edge and seem to be strap friendly. Guess I have some extra shackles until I get a new bumper.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You definitely don't want to use the shackles with tow hooks because they can become projectiles if something slips. That is the same reason most people recommend avoiding tow straps with metal hooks attached to the ends.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You definitely don't want to use the shackles with tow hooks because they can become projectiles if something slips. That is the same reason most people recommend avoiding tow straps with metal hooks attached to the ends.
^^^+10
Think of them as large, somewhat slow but very effective bullets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts