Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,214 Posts
Part of the issue is the dirt that accumulates into the textured surfaces of the handles and fenders.

For the door handles I got a set of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gloss-Black-4-Door-Handle-Tailgate-Trim-Cover-for-2007-2018-JEEP-Wrangler-JK/121607506064?epid=2039416742&hash=item1c505f4890:g:KXwAAOSwv0tVFsuE. Had them for two years: they feel nice to the touch when you grab the handles, they wash and dry fast, and still look as good as new.

For the fenders: unless you want to exercise a fair bit of elbow grease rubbing Back to Black onto them every two weeks, your best bet is to get a takeoff set of OE painted fenders, or a set of paintable aftermarket fenders with a smooth-surface like those from Bushwhacker. Even if you decide not to paint them, their smooth surface will prove much easier to wash and clean.

Good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Turtle Wax Trim Restorer is what I have used.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i use the Turtle Spray wax on the entire jeep, all the black trim and bumpers always stay black. Just make sure to keep using the same Spraywax and just keep up with it. Mine is an 07 and the black bumpers look brand new from just being consistant.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Solution Finish is a great black restoration product. A little bit goes a long way and it lasts for a long time. I did some trim on my Dodge Ram and I havent had to touch it again in over 1.5 years. Another good one is called Black Wow, it has held up very well but I just used it about 4 months ago on a friends vehicle so I cant speak on the longevity of it yet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When i had the plastic fenders i also used the 303 aerospace product still do on tires and handles its the best and if they are faded might have to go over them a couple times. Its also uv protection

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have used this, it works, just havnt tested how long it will last.
Wipe New seems to be the good stuff. Check out this review. It's from the dreaded CR but this is about the only type of review they are actually good at.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/05/best-exterior-car-trim-cleaners/index.htm

In short, ReNu and Wipe New were the only products that lasted an acceptable period. 303 was not tested.

I've used Mothers Back to Black and it works great for about 1 week. Says it lasts hundreds of washes. For me, it didn't even last till the first wash before it was just as faded as ever. I fixed my problem permanently by replacing the stock bumper with a metal one anyway.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
What lasts the longest. Back To Black last about six weeks on my Wranglers. Not long enough for the effort to apply it.

What product is effective for at least six months with a couple of car washes per month?

I've tried most of the products out there, and had a similar experience as you mentioned. They all looked great, then found myself re-applying within 2 months. I have a monthly subscription to unlimited car washes. I use it at least 3 times per week. Someone on this forum who does boat detailing mentioned Penetrol. I tried it out, and it works the best of anything I've tried previously, plus it cost the least as well. It's by far the best product I've tried. Wipes on easy, looks great, lasts long and holds up to the car washes. The worst product I've tried is Forever Black.

You can pick it up at Lowes/Home Depot.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've tried most of the products out there, and had a similar experience as you mentioned. They all looked great, then found myself re-applying within 2 months. I have a monthly subscription to unlimited car washes. I use it at least 3 times per week. Someone on this forum who does boat detailing mentioned Penetrol. I tried it out, and it works the best of anything I've tried previously, plus it cost the least as well. It's by far the best product I've tried. Wipes on easy, looks great, lasts long and holds up to the car washes. The worst product I've tried is Forever Black.

You can pick it up at Lowes/Home Depot.

Try not to get it on the paint or the tires. There's benzene in it so wear gloves and don't breathe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What lasts the longest. Back To Black last about six weeks on my Wranglers. Not long enough for the effort to apply it.

What product is effective for at least six months with a couple of car washes per month?
Solution Finish. You can purchase on Amazon. Take the time to prep the surface properly and I've had it last over a year and a half.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happy Fenders

Help! What can I do to bring back the black color of the fenders and door handles on my Jeep? It’s really faded looking gray 😔.
Glad to find this thread. Both my Wranglers need some work to get the BLACK BACK!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know it is pricey, but you get what you pay for with this stuff. It is like it is made for our Jeeps with all the black textured plastic they have. I put this on last fall and it easily lasted a year. I did reapply about a month ago just because it is so easy to do, not because it was really needing it. This new formula is supposed to last even longer.

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/coatings/adam-s-trim-coating-kit.html

1 - 20 of 116 Posts