Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have my Wrangler at an auto body place next door from work, and I'm getting ready to fail my Safety and Emissions here in the state of VA.

I don't have any word on it yet, but what they are telling me already is:
Brakes
Windshield Wipers
Something is wrong with the suspension...
3rd brake light is out
Exhaust Leak

Now I have never done breaks before, but I've seen it done, and I have the service manual for my Wrangler. I know I can save a couple hundred doing that in the garage. Windshield Wipers are obviously not a problem. But it's the suspension that has me rattled.

I've noticed when I've been taking hard corners, it sounds like something is grinding underneath the Jeep... any idea on what this might be? I'm tossing around the idea this morning of installing a body lift, might as well, I'll have the wheels off, right?

The exhaust leak, I have no idea what that could be. Last year the garage that I took it to passed it no problems, it's a catback that the PO had previously installed.

A little nervous at where my pocketbook might be sitting at the end of all this. Anybody in the NOVA area feel like helping a rookie wrench on his Jeep this weekend?

I'll update as I find out more from the garage. I kind of feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
224 Posts
What exactly did they tell you about the brakes and suspension?

Third brake light may just be replacing a bulb for $5 bucks. Exhaust leak could be a bad weld or loose clamp. Grinding could be bearing going out or power steering starting to fail.

You may want to take it to another garage for a second opinion as well if you feel you are getting nickel and dimed.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks flatsfisher. They haven't told me anything yet, I'm having them look it over, but told them not to do any work without clearing it with me first. I know I can probably do a lot of it myself. I know that it's probably just the metal connection for the 3rd break light. When I pulled the plugs to raptor line my interior, it probably just fell into the wheel well, easy fix.

As for the breaks and suspension, I'm curious. I know I'm close to needing new breaks, but I should have a couple thousand miles left. If I take it to another shop, will they have a record of all the things the first shop found?

·
Registered
150 Posts
If I take it to another shop, will they have a record of all the things the first shop found?
Not unless you tell them. :facepalm:

Question, when you hit the brakes does your steering wheel wiggle in your hand? If so you may have a bad tie rod which could be what they are saying is wrong with your suspension. Just guessing there, but I know they check that stuff when you take a vehicle into a shop.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, my steering wheel doesn't wiggle when I hit the brakes. The only problem I've noticed when I drive is that when I take a hard turn, like out of a parking lot, usually to the right, there is a grinding. Other than that, I've had no issues.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not unless you tell them. :facepalm:
I wasn't sure if there was some sort of database, or sticker. I believe they put a failed sticker on it when they are done. I can always tell another shop it was because of the 3'rd break light.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I wasn't sure if there was some sort of database, or sticker. .
Every state is different so only anothe VA resident may be able to tell you something on that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Keep us posted. Still sounds like bearings or power steering. My F-150 did that before I had the bearings replaced.

No, my steering wheel doesn't wiggle when I hit the brakes. The only problem I've noticed when I drive is that when I take a hard turn, like out of a parking lot, usually to the right, there is a grinding. Other than that, I've had no issues.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What size tires? What backspacing on wheels? The "grinding" could be your tires rubbing spring perch or shock because of not enough backspacing for the width of tires installed...

Tell us more about your rig: tires, wheels, suspension mods (lift, track bars, disconnects) etc.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tires 31x10.5x15 BFG A/T's, I don't know what my backspacing is. ProComp 9000 shocks, upgraded by the PO, as well as a Hurst shifter upgraded by PO. I've owned the Jeep for almost 2 years now, and never had a problem up until recently.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
You can move to Jersey. Our great Governor did away with safety inspections and only check emissions. Just got my new 2 year sticker this year with tires sticking past the flares a little, big crack in the windshield on the RS from top to bottom, 130 watt headlights, air horn hooked up to the horn button, driving lights that do not go off with the high beams, and who knows what else they would find. Personally I feel it's stupid to not have it since most people do not a good job maintaining their vehicles and wait for someone to tell them the vehicle needs repairs.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Got a buddy who owns an inspection station?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Got a buddy who owns an inspection station?
If this question was for me, no. It was inspected at a state facility. State facilities are privately run and only do what the state pays them for.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Atthehop said:
If this question was for me, no. It was inspected at a state facility. State facilities are privately run and only do what the state pays them for.
Nope it was for the op, if it was for you I woulda quoted you :wavey:
Oh and privately run facilities *dont* always do what the state says. I've passed commercial vehicle inspection when I shouldn't have.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've actually got a guy lined up who I'm going to take it to who is a friend of a friend. My workplace neighbor (Jersey Girl) has been ranting about how stupid inspections are as well. I'm ending the workday, and still have not heard from them, so I'm going to go take a look.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We need inspections like that here. There's so many POS on the road that are too dangerous to drive it's unbelieveable. But CA hippies don't care about that as long as the air is clean.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My rejection notice says it's because of an Exhaust System leak, but here is a list of things they said I needed to get done. I don't believe this is part of my inspection, maybe just things they are mentioning?

2 new front brake rotors $50.00 x2
2 new front brake pads $76.00
Rear brake shoes $60.50
Machine drums (?)
Hardware Kit $13.00
brake fluid
cam brake cleaner
front sway bar links $63.00 x2
Exhaust Manifold is cracked - $407
Exhaust Manifold Gasket- C/W
Exhaust Manifold Flauge Gasket- C/W + nuts+bolts
Wiper Blades

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
YHSublime said:
My rejection notice says it's because of an Exhaust System leak, but here is a list of things they said I needed to get done. I don't believe this is part of my inspection, maybe just things they are mentioning?

2 new front brake rotors $50.00 x2
2 new front brake pads $76.00
Rear brake shoes $60.50
Machine drums (?)
Hardware Kit $13.00
brake fluid
cam brake cleaner
front sway bar links $63.00 x2
Exhaust Manifold is cracked - $407
Exhaust Manifold Gasket- C/W
Exhaust Manifold Flauge Gasket- C/W + nuts+bolts
Wiper Blades
Does this happen to be a shop that wants to do the work?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
move to Montana. we don't care how unsafe your vehicle is, if you've got all your wheels and can roll and stop, the state stays out, as they should. no emissions no safety check none of that kind of garbage.

anyway off my soap box. if you have the service manual do the breaks yourself. every shop ive ever taken things to say whenever I need breaks they want to do drums and rotors too, thats not always necessary. if you don't have any wobble, or grinding sounds I wouldn't replace um, unless they show major signs of heat damage or severely gouged out by the pads being too warn down.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts