Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's a '98 Sport that I have a GREAT deal on at a dealership and the dealers said it failed inspection. They told me the brakes and suspension were what failed the test.

The very sketchy looking "inspection sheet" that they gave me said that the fender flairs didn't cover the tires…(Is that the suspension problem… ?) Now this is Virginia so rules are gonna be very strict but I see Wranglers all the time in this area with huge 35-37" tires and the flares are barely covering the wheels.

On this particular Wrangler, I believe there are 35" tires on them. My question is, if I put smaller tires on the vehicle and fix the brake issue, it'll pass inspection? Does someone else have experience with this specific problem?

Here's the car if you wanna see it:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c2414&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c5641&zip=22192&distance=50&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=181294415

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other issue I think I see is a front tire slightly bent outward. If you look at the front view picture, you might be able to see it.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I would be really concerned with the lift on that vehicle. You can see the problems with the suspension and the alignment. Then, there are the brakes too, for that set of tires. It sounds like you are taking over someone's headache that messed up their Wrangler. And now, they want to dump it on you, to fix their mess. You are probably looking at 3 to 5 thousand dollars to fix the suspension, tires and brakes. Get a clean stock Sport, and lift it properly yourself, if you must.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Rig looks like a money pit. I see a decent amount of rust and cheap suspension components. You need to check the entire undercarriage for rot.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
98 sport nice starting point if no serious rust issues
Smaller tires good suspension parts could be ok but with only those pics hard to say

Just carefully asses needs and cost before deciding what to do

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Any time a dealer attempts to sell an uninspected vehicle, I assume that they know they have determined that cost of repairs needed exceed the value of the vehicle.Otherwise they would do the work because they know they could ask a lot more for a vehicle with a current inspection.

In this case it appears that an auto auction is trying to sell. I would stay away unless you know what is needed and you can do the work

·
Registered
523 Posts
Treadwear on that front passenger tire is a nightmare. No telling what your getting into suspension wise

According to the VIN it was from MD... CHECK FOR RUST

Tires look way to big for the D35/D30 combo unless it was upgraded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One other issue I think I see is a front tire slightly bent outward. If you look at the front view picture, you might be able to see it.
I did notice that. I'm pretty sure that it's a tie rod or track bar issue, which should be an easy fix. But I'll investigate more, thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rig looks like a money pit. I see a decent amount of rust and cheap suspension components. You need to check the entire undercarriage for rot.
I absolutely saw the cheap components and rust, but what really attracts me about this vehicle is that the frame is like stunningly perfect. Like no rust whatsoever. And trust me, it's not covered by anything. It's the best frame I've ever seen on a TJ Sport. I guess I'm really just trying to buy the body and am willing to spend a couple grand to fix the suspension issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Treadwear on that front passenger tire is a nightmare. No telling what your getting into suspension wise

According to the VIN it was from MD... CHECK FOR RUST

Tires look way to big for the D35/D30 combo unless it was upgraded

Yeah, they're too big. What size would be more appropriate for the D35/30?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
98 sport nice starting point if no serious rust issues
Smaller tires good suspension parts could be ok but with only those pics hard to say

Just carefully asses needs and cost before deciding what to do

That's exactly what I'm going for. I just want the body. The frame is perfect, and definitely no serious rust. My main goal is to pass the inspection with the correct tire size/fixing the breaks, and then put in better components when I save up a little more.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
So there's a '98 Sport that I have a GREAT deal on at a dealership and the dealers said it failed inspection.
You never get a great deal from a used car salesman.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would be really concerned with the lift on that vehicle. You can see the problems with the suspension and the alignment. Then, there are the brakes too, for that set of tires. It sounds like you are taking over someone's headache that messed up their Wrangler. And now, they want to dump it on you, to fix their mess. You are probably looking at 3 to 5 thousand dollars to fix the suspension, tires and brakes. Get a clean stock Sport, and lift it properly yourself, if you must.
I am taking over someone else's headache. I just want it to pass inspection, so I can use it to get around town while I'm in college and then save up to fix the suspension. I think $5k is incredible for how good condition the frame is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You never get a great deal from a used car salesman.
When I say great deal, I guess I was referring to the frame although I didn't mention it. The frame is like brand new and it's a great starting point to fix what the previous owner screwed up badly. It's in the color I want, and I'm definitely willing to fix it. It'll be a fun daily driver and a fun college project, even if expensive.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I am taking over someone else's headache. I just want it to pass inspection, so I can use it to get around town while I'm in college and then save up to fix the suspension. I think $5k is incredible for how good condition the frame is.
Good Luck with it. I think you are in love:huglove:, and I understand because I was the same way with my Mustang. I pretty much did the same thing in college with a 1967 GTA Mustang Convertible. My brother, God rest him, use to tease me about it. He said that I was so in love with my 'Stang, as he called it, that I was probably going to have sex with it. It was my daily driver in college and I held on to it for 15 years, until I ordered my 1997 Wrangler, straight from the factory. Luckily, with a vehicle, there is no alimony.:bop:

What would be great is if you could have it inspected by a good suspension shop before you purchased it, and talk to them about the suspension and the crooked wheel. Maybe even see what the problem is with the brakes, and get an estimate. Maybe you could even get a price reduction. Definitely check for frame damage because the crooked wheel could be caused by frame welding.

I restored my Mustang and I spent tons of money on it. That Jeep will be a fun project. It is a great looking vehicle. Good luck and be Safe.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,226 Posts
I would definitely recommend that you avoid it unless they will agree for you to take it somewhere and have it put on a lift and evaluated. And .... I would be surprised if they did that.

On KBB, rating that Jeep as in Fair Condition, with that mileage, it shows a trade in value of around $3000 and sale to a private buyer around $4,500.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah, they're too big. What size would be more appropriate for the D35/30?

Honestly that's the least of your worries BUT now that it's disclosed and we know what your after...

No bigger that a 31" MAYBE 32" with the 3.73/35/30 setup

Like I said assuming it's stock gearing and stock axles

Test drive and go to a suspension shop for inspection lol

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
If the frame and body are straight and rust free and the engine is sound it is a bevy decent price even if he needs all new suspension/lift and a XJ front complete axle from the junkyard (assuming he can do the work)

Grew up with mustangs had to look up GTA and found it is just a GT with an automatic

Don't see auto making it special

Had a couple 68s and a 69 428 CJ Mach thankfully with a 4 speed

Unkle had a 64.5 again 4 SPd

Problem even in NM was rust in a unibody and the weaker box of the convertible would be even worse and I am done with rusted cars

·
Registered
467 Posts
page is no longer available. Must have gotten a ton of traffic

1 - 20 of 23 Posts