Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

I have a 94 YJ- here are the symptoms from the manual 5 speed trans

clicking noise when decelerating in 2nd and 3rd
a little grinding going from 2nd to 3rd
pops out of 1st

when I got the vehicle 1500 miles ago, the 5 speed took almost 2 pints to top it off.

i checked level today and the oil was black like ink, did not smell burnt however

Theories on what happened? how bad things are inside?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
You're supposed to use a 10w30 full synthetic as the cheaper oil as full synthetic has a longer shelf life than dino or others use Pennzoil synchromesh. I used redline mt90 as it is a safe gear oil. Standard Gear oil eats the brass synchros. The 2nd to 3rd is more than likely a bad synchro and the 3rd to 2nd could be a synchro or failing bearing either needle or ball. Popping out of first is usually a sticking detent ball so if the fluid is dirty, a good internal thorough cleaning should help. Sounds like it is almost time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, good info.

I have pulled tranmissions from M38's and CJ's. Never a YJ. What are the pitfalls and difficulties, any tribal knowledge about what I'm facing would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Thanks, good info.

I have pulled tranmissions from M38's and CJ's. Never a YJ. What are the pitfalls and difficulties, any tribal knowledge about what I'm facing would be appreciated.

AX15 is a very well made Japanese transmission the problem is that Jeep specified the wrong fluid to be used in it that destroys the syncros. Toyota's ran motor oil and don't have the problems jeeps be because they ran the correct fluid.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thanks, good info.

Pulling the YJ transmission is very easy. I'd say the only hard part is the two E12 reverse torx bolts that are on the top of the bellhousing to engine. I didn't have problems on mine but I've worked on a few XJ's and YJ's where those were almost impossible to remove because of rust and they stripped out. I've had to weld nuts to the heads of those so I could remove them.

·
Registered
14,306 Posts
He only has the ax if he has the 4.0 six if he has the 2.5 not supreme his 5th is failing

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update from last night's work-

drained the oil, 2 gear chips came out, size of a half asparin, Oil was dark and didn't look very good. Replaced it with 10-30 and drove it. sync is a little better, still getting a clicking noise when decelerating with driveline engaged, (clutch out) in 1's 2nd and 3rd.

identified the trans as an ax5. 5 of the 6 cross pan hex socket bolts are free. One stuck and stripped.

exhaust welded from bow to stern, probably have to cut it aft of the muffler . hopefully flange bolts will give.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts