Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this is a very subjective topic but my stepson wants to buy my YJ when it goes for sale, if I end up selling it. At least it will be in the family. In my area there are ridiculous prices for YJ’s and I was considering listing mine for 7500 but was going to sell it to him for 6k. Obviously we never get money back what we put into these things. It has 130,000 miles on it, 4.0, 8.8 with ARB locker in rear and compressor, new seats 33 inch tires with matching spare. Aussie up front, 1 piece TJ shafts in front. JB conversions ss sye, woods driveshaft. Dual diaphragm brake booster, rugged ridge h.d. Fuel skid. EAG front stubby bumper. New top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,911 Posts
Steve, your YJ is way better equipped than mine. I have ~$8K invested over 6 years, including the purchase price but not including maintenance. If I were ever to consider selling it, I'd start at $8k OBO. My rock bottom price would be $5K if it didn't sell for more within a couple/few months.
From your description of your Jeep, $6K seems more than fair to a family member.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

Knowing what I do about vehicle sales to family members or "friends", I strongly suggest getting all the cash up front before signing the title over. If the buyer gets short on dough, the first bill that doesn't get paid is the personal obligation.
If you don't get all the money up front and you decide to take payments, plan on writing the balance off as a gift. If the seller does end up paid in full, he'll will be in a small minority and the buyer will have shown himself as a real gentleman. In my observation and experience the family member or friend on the receiving end of the loan ends up being a mutt. The seller ends up getting more excuses than payments.

..........................................................................................................................................................................

You know your stepson better than I do and whatever you do will be the right thing. My comments about sales to family members is posted as general advice to the forum members at large and not to you personally.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I recently sold my YJ for $9500 and had lots of interest - mine was a 4.0, 5-speed, no A/C, soft-top, half-doors, with D44's, 4.88's (I removed the e-lockers), 4.5" RE Extreme lift and a handful of upgrades. A friend sold his, mainly stock but on 33"s with hardtop and working A/C for $9200.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, yeah I forgot about the 4.5” bds lift and Bilsteins but shocks are shocks to a buyer. At least I have your responses for reasoning of asking price.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
My kids just wait till I don't drive something anymore then just take the keys off the garage fridge door and I rarely see that vehicle again, Except my Tonka, they know better than to touch it,

But I'll give you $7500 for yours tomorrow, if your stepson doesn't come through...

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is your stepson a dick or something?

If not, negotiate a price with him, have him hand you the money, and then hand it back, on the condition he use it to pay off a debt (or some other meaningful thing you think of).

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your stepson a dick or something?

If not, negotiate a price with him, have him hand you the money, and then hand it back, on the condition he use it to pay off a debt (or some other meaningful thing you think of).
No, he got screwed on unemployment and after all the BS back and forth with our snail mail he finally got word that he’d receive back pay for all these months, like 8k. He lives with us and pays no rent or utilities (lucky him, right?). He doesn’t need to make ‘payments’ if he has it all. Enabling doesn’t help the situation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Note to self: sell my next YJ in CA lol. I bought my 2.4 '95 with 117k and no rust for $3500, put a radio in, sold it for $6500 and was psyched about it.

Alternately, if you're looking for one, East Coast is where to look!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would charge him $8k in back rent, and let him borrow the jeep every once in awhile
In a perfect world

·
Registered
117 Posts
No, he got screwed on unemployment and after all the BS back and forth with our snail mail he finally got word that he’d receive back pay for all these months, like 8k. He lives with us and pays no rent or utilities (lucky him, right?). He doesn’t need to make ‘payments’ if he has it all. Enabling doesn’t help the situation.

If you don’t mind me asking, how old is he? You could really set him up well for the future. If you properly invest $2k per year from 19-29, it’s a cool million at 65. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking, how old is he? You could really set him up well for the future. If you properly invest $2k per year from 19-29, it’s a cool million at 65. Just a thought.
Where were you with that advice when I was 20? I think my Mom said something similar back in the day, but of course I knew more than she did, Right?

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pfft. I first heard it a few days after my 30th birthday.
Hey I'm too late for the 19-29 party (not that I had $2k to invest most years anyhow haha), but send me a message telling me how to adjust this for a decade later lol. I'd be happy with literally any return at this point!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey I'm too late for the 19-29 party (not that I had $2k to invest most years anyhow haha), but send me a message telling me how to adjust this for a decade later lol. I'd be happy with literally any return at this point!
There’s really no reason to make it a private message. It’s all based on a diverse portfolio of relative low risk stocks. If you start at 29, it’s $2k per year, every year, until you turn $65. IIRC that gets you ~$850k at 65. Somewhere there is a chart covering the breakdown, but again going from memory, starting at 34 it’s $5k per year every year to get to a million-ish at 65, and the numbers get worse as time goes by. If you have the means, try to invest $2k per year from the day they are born until they turn 18. You wouldn’t believe the 65 year old total for that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts