Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ecodiesel Wrangler
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m about an hour or two away from heading over to my local 4 x 4 shop and I’m thinking about upgrading from my rough country N3 shocks to the falcon 2.1 monotube heavier duty shocks. I’m not budgeting for the falcon 3.1 or 3.3 because we are upgrading to a gladiator eco-diesel this summer, but I am looking for something heavy duty that will be a lot better than the rough countries. Is there that big of a difference between The rough country N3 shocks and the falcon 2.1?

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
There is a very big difference between those two shocks. The Falcons are much beefier, and have much more sophisticated valving.
Just make sure that the compressed length will work with your existing bump stop. There is no version of the Falcon 2.1 shock that can work with no additional bump stop as far as I know.

I think the difference between those two shocks will be dramatic, especially between used RC shocks and the Falcons.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
night and day most likely between what you have and the 2.1 Falcons. If you are getting rid of it in a few months I would put something cheaper on like Rancho 5000X.

·
Registered
2021 Ecodiesel Wrangler
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! And I have a 3” lift on it now that I’ve upgraded every part of but the shocks and with having the 3” lift do you recommend the falcon 2.1 3-3.5” shock?

·
Registered
2021 Ecodiesel Wrangler
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And we aren’t get rid of this for the gladiator we are adding the gladiator then doing a full blown build with that so that’s why I don’t want to do the 3.1’s but I need to improve this terrible rough country ride

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I have had the 2.1s for a while now. Be aware there are 2 valving choices, regular (soft) and sport (firm). I have the Regular and would not want the sport. Also the 2 door ones are softer than the 4 door ones. Be sure to look at the compressed length on their suite. They have been trouble free, no noise or leaks. There have been times I wished I went with the 3.3's as they have a shorter compressed length but don't want to eat my 2.1's. I am not getting a new Gladiator but still want to be smart with my money.

·
Registered
2021 Ecodiesel Wrangler
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had the 2.1s for a while now. Be aware there are 2 valving choices, regular (soft) and sport (firm). I have the Regular and would not want the sport. Also the 2 door ones are softer than the 4 door ones. Be sure to look at the compressed length on their suite. They have been trouble free, no noise or leaks. There have been times I wished I went with the 3.3's as they have a shorter compressed length but don't want to eat my 2.1's. I am not getting a new Gladiator but still want to be smart with my money.
Thank you for the info! And you feel like as far as Road handling and daily driving plus off-road Ing they are a good enough improvement over rough country or stock to purchase them?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
before the 2.1's i had BS 5100's. They ride much better then the 5100's did. They are firm enough to have the front SB link off all the time around town without a lot of lean without being stiff. I have never had Rough Country or any of the others. I think the ideal shock IMO would be the Falcon 3.3's for a 2 door, on my 4 door. A little softer on full soft but still can adjust firm. It's only $$$.

·
Registered
2021 Ecodiesel Wrangler
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wellll I did it. And let me just say, holy shiiiz. I feel like I’m exaggerating but I’m not. I just finished the install at my shop and drove home and it’s like a different Jeep. Sporty and firm yet insane control when braking and accelerating.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
told ya :)

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Yep, they are nice. Did you get the regular or sport valving?

·
Registered
2021 Ecodiesel Wrangler
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, they are nice. Did you get the regular or sport valving?
The regular valving. The Shop I get my stuff from “Doetsch Offroad” builds seam keeps and such and they said like you did that nobody buys the sport calving it’s way harsh and not a good ride

·
Registered
247 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread...

Current set up on a 2 door Rubicon is the AEV dualsport with the Bilstein 5100's and drop brackets. The ride is so much better than stock but yet I find it too firm. The wife still complains about rough pavement and the jeeps loud "Thud" with larger pot holes. Off road is mainly easy trails and fire roads.

My question concerns the Falcon 2.1's. Are these going to make me regret spending the money or wonder why I didnt this sooner?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I’ve got 5100s and think they are WAY too soft. Now they are approaching 8 years old, so they are most likely worn out. I’m trying to decide if I want to do new springs and shocks, or just shocks...

·
Commercial Member
7,885 Posts
I’ve got 5100s and think they are WAY too soft. Now they are approaching 8 years old, so they are most likely worn out. I’m trying to decide if I want to do new springs and shocks, or just shocks...
Springs set the ride height, so you really only need to replace them if you are sagging. More likely the shocks are ready to be replaced

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts