Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I read somewhere (probably on JL forum) that the 3.3 are really long and they ride a little harsh. Someone had suggested for JKu to get the 2 dr version for softer ride and at my 3.5 lift to get the 1.5-2.5 in Falcons instead of the 3-4.5in Falcons since they are so long. Has anyone done this?

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
I have 3.1 in 1.5-2.5 on my mopar 2" and would not go with that length for a 3.5 lift. Mine has 3" of actual lift and if I had to do it over I would go up to the next size. I do not find mine harsh at all.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I’ll keep it at the appropriate height based on my new springs. Stick to 4dr Falcons for JKu?

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
Good to know. I’ll keep it at the appropriate height based on my new springs. Stick to 4dr Falcons for JKu?
I would but because I like how my 3.1's feel. I also like how bilstiens 5100 feel so I like a firm ride.

·
Super Moderator
14,874 Posts
If you like a slightly softer ride, the 2dr shock is very doable on the 4dr. The Teraflex reps even recommend it.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
At the last Off Road show i mentioned the 2 door on the 4 door and he said, (with a smile) that he had herd of that. That's what I would do. You can always adjust them to siffer. I have the 2.1's regular valve and they are OK but wish I had the 3.3's for the 2 door on mine. But,,, soft shock + soft spring = mush and bottom out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'll be writing up a longer review soon...but I recently installed Falcon 3.3s for 4dr (3-4.5") on my JKU Rubicon. Springs are Synergy 3".

Bottom line, the Falcons have heavy handed digressive valving and valved on the firm side.

Positives: Little to no nose dive, great handling on twisty roads (no body roll).

Cons:small bumps become jarring, washboards suck, etc - all the issues with digressive shocks.

On Soft, they are more firm than the Fox Shocks that come with the Mopar 2" lift.

My Jeep is heavy - and when loaded, I found 2.4 on the front to be on the firm side - and up to 2.5 in the rear. Anything higher, the ride is way over damped.

Heavy tongue weight (over spec) and unbalanced is well controlled at 2.6 - but that is rare for me.

Small bumps are more noticeable/jarring if you run your tires at proper inflation (chalk, temp rise and speed corrected load tables).

G outs are actually pretty good, long slow swells also good. washboards, speed bumps, crappy streets with lots of bad pavement) chunks missing with some speed or not... Not great.

Teraflex suggests running lower pressures on-road to satisfy a poorly tuned shock, well that's just a recipe for disaster. I'm running 285 Duratracs Load D at 30-33# adjusted for load on street. Run them less, the tires wear fast/uneven. (Ironically, the Jeep community crapped all over AEV for stating their springs/shocks were tuned for 35s LRC - folks shredded them for years.)

Empty, my Jeep rides at 2.3 and 2.2. This is ridiculous for an adjustment that goes all the way up to 2.8. Anything higher than 2.3 and 2.2, continuous bridge expansion joints (like mini woops) end up being like a bunking bronco.

If I set them on level one soft, the valving for fast response is pretty close to being on target, but body roll becomes excessive.

If you have a soft linear spring, then you probably will like them. The Mopar 2-in lift springs are incredibly soft and do not carry the weight well. To me, they felt like they were softer than the original Rubicon springs on my Jeep. I was constantly into the bump stops front and rear. If I were running those springs, I probably be happy with the falcons. However if your Jeep is properly sprung and you're carrying some heavier gear you may find the Falcons overly firm.

The other thing that is really troublesome is the tremendous loss of ground clearance at the back axle. If you're running the stock shock mount locations in the rear, and run add the bolt-on skid plates... Yikes. I really don't understand what Tereaflex was thinking.

I should have studied the accutune off-road site a lot more closely before pulling the trigger on these shocks. Teetering on the edge of buyer's remorse at this point. I only have a few hundred miles on them at this point. I may look into getting then revalved for the two-door... I've seen a few posts claiming the Teraflex people run 2dr shocks on their 4dr.

Having great luck with Fox shocks in the past, I'll be looking at a set of remote res 2.0 or 2.5 DSCs when the budget allows.

sent via cone of silence

·
Registered
488 Posts
Forgot to mention. I had a 2" Mopar lift (basically springs and shocks). I supplimented the Mopar spring/shock kit with Rancho CA drop brackets, F/R adj track bars. I also am running steermarts drag link and tie rod, MORE engine skid, Adams from drive shaft, and Ten Factory chromoly axle shafts.

These shocks are very long. I'm running 2-in bump stops and still have plenty of shock shaft exposed at full stuff (tested with springs pulled). At max droop, I have plenty of tension against the springs. (The synergy springs have plenty of free length. The 2-inch front mopar springs most likely would have been fine as well. The Mopar 2" rear springs are very short and would fall out at droop.)

Brake lines were far too short and replaced the factory lines with 6in crown. ABS Speed sensor harnesses were also far too short...they needed about 8 inches more, so I made a custom extension harnesses with appropriate Mopar connectors. New diff vent breather lines were also extended/run. The electronic locker harness was barely long enough.

New front/rear sway bar links were installed as well. I had to do some trimming on the rear sway bar link bolts as they hit the frame at droop. The rear rigid brake lines also needed to be moved so they didn't catch on the sway bar links.

If I opt to keep the Falcons, I'll install some rear synergy lower shock relocation brackets and raise the rear mounting point by a couple of inches. (There's plenty of shock shaft exposed without needing the upper mounts.)

sent via cone of silence

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
I run mine on full firm with load range C tires, and would like them to be a little firmer.
The wife's D range she prefers 2.1, which rumor says is a little softer than the full soft setting. I have no evidence to support that claim, just rumor.
She would like them even softer.

Different people have different tastes.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I have the 3.3's and if I had to do it again I would probably go with king shocks (running with 3" TF sport lift). I have never had issues with the front shocks but the rear shocks have leaked twice and I have one which makes a HUGE, LOUD... and EMBARASSING squeaking noise on setting 1 when compressed fast (I now run the rears on setting 2.... no squeaking on 2 so clearly it's a valving design flaw and apparently I am not the only one who has had this issue as other falcon threads will attest to). Granted I have not had ANY problems in warranty claims. Teraflex has been extremely good and fast at replacing defective shocks but I guess the point is, at this pricing level I should not have had 3 defects in a row (It's a pain in the ass to send shocks back being in Canada). This all kind of leads me to believe there are some design flaws in the (jk) rear shocks and indeed if you look at the JL falcons they have done some slight modifications (rear shocks now inverted and running with shaft guards).

As for ride.... a bit firmer than the stock rubicon shocks (setting 1 in front and 2 in the rear), but a lot more controlled than the stock shocks. Quite happy with the ride.... although it is a total disaster on washboard roads..... but then just about any firm shock is a disaster on washboards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts