Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon X edition, teraflex leveling kit and 255/80r17 toyo open country AT3s
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was all set to order the falken wild peaks in 255/80/17 for my stock rubicon w factory wheels. Now I'm not sure!
I walked in to the local tire shop, I prefer to do business locally whenever reasonable. They are under new local ownership and have invested a crapload of money into equipment upgrades, spotless shop, great people. I got a quote for 5 new tires ($197 each) mounted and balanced, all taxes and fees etc for $1200. I thought hey that's better than I expected and competitive with any online pricing I could find.
But before I could flash my credit card he says "have you looked at the Toyo open country AT3 in the same size? We've sold a bunch of them and people have been really happy.
So I asked how they compare. Price? +2 dollars on the final cost. Weight same, actual size? Same. Weight? Same. Warranty? 50k vs 55k (falken)
He said he thought they were a little more aggressive and maybe a little softer feel i.e. grippy-er.
I've agonized and researched and settled on size, thought I was set on falken, now I'm not sure.
Any advice?
Atleast I can be pretty confident I'll like them better than my old BFG mud terrains.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The atiii is a softer feel than my ko2s were, largely because they have 2 ply sidewalls vs the 3 ply in the ko2.
Also, with the atiii the BSW version is more aggressive on the shoulder area than the OWL version.
I also like the staggered lugs of the atiii vs the Falken.
One caveat, I have never run the Falken, just physical appearance comparisons, so chose the atiii over the at3w.
I don't think you will go wrong with either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon X edition, teraflex leveling kit and 255/80r17 toyo open country AT3s
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Apparently the toyo also recently earned the mountain 3 peak rating. I meant to say that instead of putting weight in 2x

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Thanks. Apparently the toyo also recently earned the mountain 3 peak rating. I meant to say that instead of putting weight in 2x
Yes, so I am hoping for a favorable winter comparison to my ko2s. Treadwear after 3k miles on my first set was minimal, maybe 1/32. Had a nasty vibe and the OWL, so I traded them out for the BSW version. 100% happier with them now with 1k on the new ones.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, definitely going BSW Toyo product number 355750.
Local tire shop is really trying hard. Price seems fair.

·
Retired Moderator
17,073 Posts
Both are excellent tires. I've got the AT3W's on my Frontier and it's an outstanding tire. But I also like all the Toyo's except the MT's. You won't go wrong with either of them.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I was all set to order the falken wild peaks in 255/80/17 for my stock rubicon w factory wheels. Now I'm not sure!
I walked in to the local tire shop, I prefer to do business locally whenever reasonable. They are under new local ownership and have invested a crapload of money into equipment upgrades, spotless shop, great people. I got a quote for 5 new tires ($197 each) mounted and balanced, all taxes and fees etc for $1200. I thought hey that's better than I expected and competitive with any online pricing I could find.
But before I could flash my credit card he says "have you looked at the Toyo open country AT3 in the same size? We've sold a bunch of them and people have been really happy.
So I asked how they compare. Price? +2 dollars on the final cost. Weight same, actual size? Same. Weight? Same. Warranty? 50k vs 55k (falken)
He said he thought they were a little more aggressive and maybe a little softer feel i.e. grippy-er.
I've agonized and researched and settled on size, thought I was set on falken, now I'm not sure.
Any advice?
Atleast I can be pretty confident I'll like them better than my old BFG mud terrains.
Toyo must be the HOT, at this time, completely sold out on 35/11.50-17s - Nat B/O .. same on the LT 35 tire too - so - I went to 12.50s .. Coming off Falken AT3s due to price for the 12.50s. BTW.. MOPAR is, thru dealers, buy 3 get 1 free on Tires for October.

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I was very happy with my AT3W on my JKUR and when getting tires for my JT I could not find any reason not to get another set, this time in the size you are considering. I took them on hundreds of miles of rocky two-tracks, etc. while elk hunting and they performed flawlessly. The previous set worked for me in rain, snow, trails, on and off highway.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn’t clear in my last post. Definitely BSW. stop. Not necessarily the toyo. The ratings, size, weight, almost identical with an extra 5k on the falken warranty. All stock right now but probably going to put a leveling kit on for a smidge more clearance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased the first set of Toyo Open Country AT's back in 2007 on a Silverado. Good tire. The ATII is a great tire and the ATIII looks great.

I had a set of AT3W on my old Silverado, best all around tire I've ever had. This year, I put some AT3W Falkens on my JKUR and enjoy them. I'd say buy whichever tire you think looks better to you because you're going to wonder if the grass is greener on the other side with the tire that you didn't pick.

Edit: Looks like you picked the Toyo in BSW? I'm sure you'll be very happy with them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That looks great! Love your Jeep, it's the one color that I like more than mine.

Reactions: Redhook

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks great! Love your Jeep, it's the one color that I like more than mine.
Thanks. It was almost a coin toss between toyo and falken, there are no real significant differences between them. Haven’t been off road yet but what a night and day difference in road handling and noise. They measure 32 3/8” tall on the ground. Probably a true 33” tire as advertised and a great option on stock vehicle with no lift or spacers. I might still add a leveling kit when I mount the winch up front.

·
Retired Moderator
17,073 Posts
Reactions: Redhook

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
255/80R17 is the perfect choice for replacement on a stock Wrangler. Whether Toyo or Falken, etc....
Agreed and thanks for your guidance along the way. It occurred to me (duh) to measure the new spare. 33” exactly.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.