Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

As some of you are aware, my friends and I are building a rig to race in the Everyman Challenge at King of the Hammers. I have been doing some pricing on tires, and for the price...these have caught our interest.

These are the same tires that were ran on the Savvy Everyman Challenge Rig two years in a row with a custom grooving pattern. If they were good enough for the Savvy rig, I think that says a lot.

So I am looking for more info on them...whats your experience with them? Pros/cons...type of wheeling...let me get some feedback from those that have ran them!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Worst tire I've ever used. But, then again I wasn't doing King of the Hammers type stuff with mine.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worst tire I've ever used. But, then again I wasn't doing King of the Hammers type stuff with mine.
Ya I am looking for rock traction, sand handling, durability, etc kind of reviews. Not too worried about how it does on the road...for obvious reasons. Pretty much offroad only input is all that matters in this case.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I have seen one person puncture 2 sidewalls on the same trip during some mild wheeling. they are supposed to have great sidewalls.....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
General Grabber red letters? No research or experience thrown in to this, just secondary analysis. Have seen them cut up in some pretty awesome ways too

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
General Grabber red letters? No research or experience thrown in to this, just secondary analysis. Have seen them cut up in some pretty awesome ways too
For the price of these, we would probably just stick with the MTR Kevlars. There is about a $40 difference between the Kevlars and the Falkens...and with the EMC winners running them...they are kind of appealing even though the tread pattern isn't all that aggressive like a MT.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I ran them on my rig for about 2 years and they were great...had great traction through the rocks, great snow traction, were great in mud when I had to pull a buddy out of a pit, and they were great on the road.

My only complain with the tire was they were a bit on the heavy side...I was running 32x11.5s and they're only 6 lbs lighter than my current 35x12.5 bfg's

Great tire overall, though...

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ran them on my rig for about 2 years and they were great...had great traction through the rocks, great snow traction, were great in mud when I had to pull a buddy out of a pit, and they were great on the road.

My only complain with the tire was they were a bit on the heavy side...I was running 32x11.5s and they're only 6 lbs lighter than my current 35x12.5 bfg's

Great tire overall, though...
Good input! Hopefully that additional weight is all in the sidewalls ;)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I put mine through quite a bit...I can also say the sidewalls are definitely strong because about 6-8 months ago I fell asleep on the highway and hit a guardrail...all it did to the tire was bubble the side; no cut no puncture.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put mine through quite a bit...I can also say the sidewalls are definitely strong because about 6-8 months ago I fell asleep on the highway and hit a guardrail...all it did to the tire was bubble the side; no cut no puncture.
First off, glad to hear you are ok. Secondly, it sounds like the tires are pretty stout for what they are.

I have caught wind of Falken putting out a MT for KOH...Ill be curious what these will be like. Unfortunately I hear they will be limited, so ending up with a set of those (especially at a good price) will probably be a long shot.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
My friend Renay just ran the Rubicon trail with SD Jeepin'. Here is what one of her tires looks like after the round-trip drive + Rubicon run.

She said that her Falkens did better than the JK running 37" Toyos. She didn't need winch pulls, she had no flats, and the tires were, "nice and sticky" on the rocks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cons. That is my red Jeep you see on the Falken Wildpeaks running the Rubicon Trail. I was the smallest Jeep out there on 33" 12.5 tires with NO LOCKERS and a D30/D35 with limited slip in the rear. I took the bypass when I could but there were not that many bypasses. This is my daily driver so that is why I run AT tires. The tires are quiet on the streets. I commute 30 miles each to and from work so I am not trying to have noisy tires. I get better gas mileage if that is possible in a Jeep with the ATs. The tires stick on the rocks which is where I needed them on the granite rock sides we drove up. Even after going through a bit of a watercrossing, I was still able to climb when needed. That is the toughest trail I've ever done since owning the Jeep for 9 years and this was the toughest trail I had done on these tires. I've had the tires for a year and keep them rotated. They don't look like much in pictures but in real life, these tires have deep treads on them considering they are ATs. I ran BFG ATs and this is my first time running these tires. I heard of them a couple of years ago and it was between Falkens and Dura Tracs. I decided on Falkens after the BFG ATs finally wore out. I think it is safe to say I would probably get them again when it's time for new tires. At this point, it will be ATs that buy for the Jeep until it's no longer my daily driver. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cons. That is my red Jeep you see on the Falken Wildpeaks running the Rubicon Trail. I was the smallest Jeep out there on 33" 12.5 tires with NO LOCKERS and a D30/D35 with limited slip in the rear. I took the bypass when I could but there were not that many bypasses. This is my daily driver so that is why I run AT tires. The tires are quiet on the streets. I commute 30 miles each to and from work so I am not trying to have noisy tires. I get better gas mileage if that is possible in a Jeep with the ATs. The tires stick on the rocks which is where I needed them on the granite rock sides we drove up. Even after going through a bit of a watercrossing, I was still able to climb when needed. That is the toughest trail I've ever done since owning the Jeep for 9 years and this was the toughest trail I had done on these tires. I've had the tires for a year and keep them rotated. They don't look like much in pictures but in real life, these tires have deep treads on them considering they are ATs. I ran BFG ATs and this is my first time running these tires. I heard of them a couple of years ago and it was between Falkens and Dura Tracs. I decided on Falkens after the BFG ATs finally wore out. I think it is safe to say I would probably get them again when it's time for new tires. At this point, it will be ATs that buy for the Jeep until it's no longer my daily driver. Hope this helps.
Sounds like the tire is working well for you! Glad to hear it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've read nothing but great reviews in most of the 4x4 magazines. I currently run 35x12.50 BFG KM2's and just ordered 33x12.50 Wildpeak AT2's. The AT2's went from 3 ply to 2ply and a softer feel. I'm expecting these to be night and day in road driving. The only con I've heard is not as good in the mud by that's typical for all AT's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts