Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The low tire warning light comes on whenever I drive my 2010 JK Unlimited. I've checked all tire pressures and they are fine. This warning light causes the odometer to be very bright and is quite distracting when driving at night. It only seems to happen during cold weather, but again, tire pressures are where they should be.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine came on last week due to cold. I run 32-33 psi. I had to air it up to 35+ and drive it a bit for it to go off. When it did I dropped the pressure back down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The variations in tire pressure due to cold weather could be as much as 4 to 5 psi, (and that's here in South Florida where we only get down into the 40's) so depending on what psi the sensor is set to you will get the warning during cold weather. I suspect it will be more if the weather is colder. Similarly, in the summer months while driving, as the temperature in the tires rises, the psi rises as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2010 is doing the same, TPMS light on. All pressure is good. Took it to Discount Tire this morning. 2 monitors not reading, bad batteries, that is normal after 5-6 years. TPMS is $60 each. Decided to order new BF G tires with E load rating and not to worry in future. Getting 265/70/R17.
More sidewall plies will be good on the jeep trails around Ouray, Co this summer.:beerdrinking:

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
The low tire warning light comes on whenever I drive my 2010 JK Unlimited. I've checked all tire pressures and they are fine. This warning light causes the odometer to be very bright and is quite distracting when driving at night. It only seems to happen during cold weather, but again, tire pressures are where they should be.
Any suggestions?
Do you check the tires pressures soon after you're finished driving? When you drive the tires heat up and the pressure increases. Thus, they could be reading close to normal if you check them that way.

After the Jeep has been sitting for a while the tires cool down and the pressure drops. If you've been running them slightly low anyway then the cold tire pressure could trip the low pressure warning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Living in Toronto during the winter. Every time the cold winter weather sets in this warning light starts going off. It's happened from day one when I bought my 2010. Tire pressure is checked and is always fine. Its certainly annoying, maybe something Jeep needs to look in to. I've never had any other vehicle behave this way.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 2010 is doing the same, TPMS light on. All pressure is good. Took it to Discount Tire this morning. 2 monitors not reading, bad batteries, that is normal after 5-6 years. TPMS is $60 each. Decided to order new BF G tires with E load rating and not to worry in future. Getting 265/70/R17.
More sidewall plies will be good on the jeep trails around Ouray,
Co this summer.:beerdrinking:
What he said. chances are there's bad sensor in one or more tires.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you have a procal you could lower the thresshold. Maybe then it wont be so finicky.

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
It does in a 2012 and 2013 Sahara JKU, it happened to me, then a friend of mine had his go off, I told him to check the spare, and that corrected his also
We have a 2013 Sahara with the premium monitoring system (it displays specific pressure for each tire). Here is what it says about the TPMS system on pg. 498 of my 2013 owner's manual:

A tire pressure monitoring sensor is located in the spare
wheel if the vehicle is equipped with a matching full size
spare wheel and tire assembly. The matching full size
spare tire can be used in place of any of the four road
tires. A low spare tire will not cause the “Tire Pressure
Monitoring Telltale Light” to illuminate or the chime to
sound.

The “Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light” will
illuminate in the instrument cluster, , a “LOW
TIRE PRESSURE” message will display in the EVIC, and
an audible chime will be activated when one or more of
the four active road tire pressures are low.

·
Registered
186 Posts
All I can say is it did in mine, a 2012, and my friends, a 2013. Adding air to the spare, and no other tires, caused the light to go off.

Neither of us has a separate indicator for each tire.

·
Registered
498 Posts
All I can say is it did in mine, a 2012, and my friends, a 2013. Adding air to the spare, and no other tires, caused the light to go off.

Neither of us has a separate indicator for each tire.
Interesting because the TPMS sensors are "active" sensors that should only report when in motion. Your system should only be reading and syncing with the 4 turning tires.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It's not a false warning when the tires are below the set threshold, which for my JKUR is about 32psi. When they drop about 5psi below what the TPMS is programmed for (37PSI) then the dash starts complaining. Once the pressure reaches 35psi or so then the TPMS stops complaining.

My TPMS light has been on for the past week or so because the weather has been below 20F 24/7 which has dropped my cold PSI down to 31-32psi. I'd rather run them a little low due to the potential for snow and get a better ride than air them up to 37PSI @ 19F and then have them be hard as a rock when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Interesting because the TPMS sensors are "active" sensors that should only report when in motion. Your system should only be reading and syncing with the 4 turning tires.
This is correct. I don't run a spare and the light is never on. The sensors work due to tire/wheel rotation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts