Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Family ride to CO July 31 - August 5

Taking the Jeep to CO July 29 - August 5 and looking for recommendations on trails in both the Dillon area and possibly near Colorado Springs. We only have a 2" lift and 33's with open diffs and need to drive back to Minnesota when we are done.

We could possibly hook up one day between the 31st and 3rd.

Thank you and looking forward to setting Big Red free!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Taking the Jeep to CO July 29 - August 5 and looking for recommendations on trails in both the Dillon area and possibly near Colorado Springs. We only have a 2" lift and 33's with open diffs and need to drive back to Minnesota when we are done.

We could possibly hook up one day between the 31st and 3rd.

Thank you and looking forward to setting Big Red free!
I would definitely do Deer Creek and Sts John. take the spur to Radical Hill. You should see some Mountain Goats up there.

A short easy and beautiful ride would be Keystone Gulch. It goes through the Keystone Ski trails. And at the end is an old mine and gorgeous view.

I also highly recommend doing Mosquito Pass out of Alma. You wind up in Leadville.

I've done all these trails with no problems with a 2" lift and 31" tires.

I wish I could go. This will be the first year in the past 5 that I'm not wheeling in CO. I miss it already.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would definitely do Deer Creek and Sts John. take the spur to Radical Hill. You should see some Mountain Goats up there. A short easy and beautiful ride would be Keystone Gulch. It goes through the Keystone Ski trails. And at the end is an old mine and gorgeous view. I also highly recommend doing Mosquito Pass out of Alma. You wind up in Leadville. I've done all these trails with no problems with a 2" lift and 31" tires. I wish I could go. This will be the first year in the past 5 that I'm not wheeling in CO. I miss it already.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you do Saints John, there's a cabin near the beginning before you head up. I need to know what the trail is like from the cabin thru the trees as you head up. I tried it 3 years ago and the part past the cabin going thru the trees was tight and extremely rocky. Like you, i had to drive mine home so couldn't take the chance of breaking something. I've watched all the Saints John videos people have posted on Youtube, and for some reason nobody starts their videos there at the cabin going thru the trees. If you make a video, please post it. If not, let me know what you thought. I've been told the trails vary each year depending on the snowfall. I'll be there at the end of August to try it again. Have fun.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do Saints John, there's a cabin near the beginning before you head up. I need to know what the trail is like from the cabin thru the trees as you head up. I tried it 3 years ago and the part past the cabin going thru the trees was tight and extremely rocky. Like you, i had to drive mine home so couldn't take the chance of breaking something. I've watched all the Saints John videos people have posted on Youtube, and for some reason nobody starts their videos there at the cabin going thru the trees. If you make a video, please post it. If not, let me know what you thought. I've been told the trails vary each year depending on the snowfall. I'll be there at the end of August to try it again. Have fun.
Will do

·
Registered
400 Posts
I also highly recommend doing Mosquito Pass out of Alma. You wind up in Leadville.

I've done all these trails with no problems with a 2" lift and 31" tires.
just moved to CO, looking for some fun but not difficult trails. Think stock JKU Sport could handle Mosquito Pass?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Depending on where you are, the Rocky mountain national park has Old Falls Road that goes up to the Alpine visitor center at 11kft. It is a one way dirt, not much of a challenge but the scenery is fantastic. Then you can take the highway back down and see the rest of the park. Bear lake is a nice spot. Also Moraine area in the park is where the elk gather at around sunset. Then you can also visit the Stanley hotel in Estes Park. You can go in the first floor and check out the inspiration of The Shining. It is a day trip to see it all though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
just moved to CO, looking for some fun but not difficult trails. Think stock JKU Sport could handle Mosquito Pass?

Yes, you can do Mosquito Pass in a stock Jeep. Also do Deer Creek and Sts John. Purchase the Fun Treks book of Colorado trails. A stock Jeep will do Green and Blue trails easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes. Its a very easy trail.
how would someone new to Colorado, like me :) , know when the trails are open? i assume during the winter trails like mosquito pass get tons of snow, when does it all melt?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
A lot of the higher elevation trails wont open til June/July. Although this year its been very dry.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. To make things even more confusing, some have a mud closure during the spring but are open before and after.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd575128.pdf

I'm sure many folks ignore or are unaware of this. They don't disseminate this stuff very well and it probably isn't posted at the actual trailhead.

The upper part of Twin Cone (Kenosha Pass) is supposed to be permanently closed, but all I found last time I was there was a black trash bag covering the sign that I assume was the trail number.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Bushdocks is a good resource. If you see something with a mud closure, for the love of God stay off that trail. Its when people try to go "mudding" that trails get shutdown.

Twin Cone was closed two years ago. There are a number of trails that have late season openings too because of the wildlife in the area. I would rather see moose, elk and sheep then have a trail that disturbs them. But thats just me and a whole different subject.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Twin Cone was closed two years ago.
I know, I was just pointing out that the forest service doesn't make it very clear (IMO) which trails are closed, regardless of the purpose of the closure. Only those who bother to look online or call will be aware of the closure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts