Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
More than likely its the blower motor resistor

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Likely resistor but do not be surprised if it's a corroded melted control switch.( i would inspect the switch first since it mostly is visually inspected.)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
You've received good advice. The only thing I'll add is that when the blower motor gets old, it starts drawing more amperes which starts a vicious cycle of burned resistors, wiring, and switches. The blower motor normally draws about 15 amps but when it gets old, it can draw 20 or more amps when it needs to be replaced. Fortunately the fan motor is easily swapped from the engine side of the firewall.

·
Registered
591 Posts
^^^ Good to know. I had to replace that and some guys of forums said their burns out all the time and blamed it on lousy aftermarket resistor packs. If it goes out again, I'll check amperage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Excellent post. Had the same problem, bought the part this AM for about $30. Plugged it in and I'm back on the road. Thanks! Hope my blower motor has some life in it yet and doesn't blow this resistor out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This post got me going in the right direction, however the video wasn't for my year. This video covers '99-'00 for sure, I don't know when they changed the set-up. And this is a picture of my resistor, old and new. Resistor was about $45.00.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 99 TJ. Mine only works on high 9 times out of 10. Sometimes the other 3 speeds work too, I don't think that's a resistor problem. I have some other wiring issue, electriclal gremlins that i'm trying to work through as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts