Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Awesome, thank you

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Yep, I have been saying for a long time on other threads this is emissions related, meanwhile people are changing out fans and radiators and trying tunes. This was based on my observations over time that the coolant temp would hit 230F regardless of whether air temp was 75F or 110F. This told me one of the control modules was purposely doing this. Meanwhile my Audi, which has a supercharged V6 producing substantially greater HP would always stay at 203F under the same air temperatures.

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts
Yep, I have been saying for a long time on other threads this is emissions related, meanwhile people are changing out fans and radiators and trying tunes. This was based on my observations over time that the coolant temp would hit 230F regardless of whether air temp was 75F or 110F. This told me one of the control modules was purposely doing this. Meanwhile my Audi, which has a supercharged V6 producing substantially greater HP would always stay at 203F under the same air temperatures.
Not my experience at all since putting in the larger radiator. On a 60 degree morning like today my coolant temp struggles to stay at 205F, jumping between 195-205. On 100F degree days it will run 210F-215F. This is of course steady state driving. In stop and go or say climbing a mountain pass it will get into the 220's but so far I have not seen it get about 228F and if I let it idle for say 5 minutes it will drop right down to 205 regardless of the outside temp.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the normal boat for warmer temps. Any modification and California smog will spit me out a fat FAIL.
I've vented the hood, removed the mat, etc.
Those mods do their work when driving slow, but at 70-75 @ 2250-2300 she will warm up to 220 BY DESIGN.
I'm done fighting PCM. Lol
Steep grade with passengers and cargo at 100F ambient I'll hit the 3/4 mark which is likely 235F. Jeep says absolutely normal.
Will quickly cool down on flats and nose dives in park(naturally).
To all those worried, read the discourse within the link and embrace the future.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I'm in the normal boat for warmer temps. Any modification and California smog will spit me out a fat FAIL.
I've vented the hood, removed the mat, etc.
Those mods do their work when driving slow, but at 70-75 @ 2250-2300 she will warm up to 220 BY DESIGN.
I'm done fighting PCM. Lol
Steep grade with passengers and cargo at 100F ambient I'll hit the 3/4 mark which is likely 235F. Jeep says absolutely normal.
Will quickly cool down on flats and nose dives in park(naturally).
To all those worried, read the discourse within the link and embrace the future.
You haven't fought the PCM yet, you're just throwing jabs in the air :)
Embrace what future ? the one where you think you have to live with this hot coolant $hit because it's an emission thing from a conversation in the Mini forums? Some of you have to park in the middle of nowhere on your vacation trip, possibly with the whole family on board, to wait for the Jeep to cool down, and somehow this BS has to be normal ?

The tune community was aware of all this many years ago in case you didn't know, and Jeeps can be tuned in full, PCM and TCM, but somehow, some people in the Jeep community want others to believe, the only thing that works in your Jeep for tuning is flicking little buttons up/down with a Procal, and modern Engine management tuning is the devil.

I can drive any steep grades with passengers and cargo, on 114F days, and my coolant temps will cycle between 199F to 219-220F peaks, stock radiator, stock hood, stock thermostat, a big winch in the middle of my grill, 105k miles as of today, no issues passing smog in Cali, Welcome to the future, from at least 14 years ago that all this can be possible, though in the Jeep, full tune options were available (at least with the Engine Management tool i use) a couple of years ago.

Jeep may have designed the thing to run hot, some choose to live with it, some have to suffer because of it, but you don't have to if you choose not to. things WILL run a lot better if you simply tell the fan to engage 14-15F sooner in the cycle, as easy as it sounds, zero ill effects other than the money out the pockets to do the damn thing, we spend a lot money on mods, consider it an investment that yields something good in return, a cooler running Jeep, lol, after that, worry about something else, it'll be the last time you have to read about this silly coolant temps threads.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Not my experience at all since putting in the larger radiator. On a 60 degree morning like today my coolant temp struggles to stay at 205F, jumping between 195-205. On 100F degree days it will run 210F-215F. This is of course steady state driving. In stop and go or say climbing a mountain pass it will get into the 220's but so far I have not seen it get about 228F and if I let it idle for say 5 minutes it will drop right down to 205 regardless of the outside temp.
The problem is that the system has adaptation (learning from past history). It worked on you vehicle and that is great. It doesn't mean that changing the radiator will work the same way on another vehicle. Coolant temperature is only one piece of the equation. Unless you are logging AFR, EGT, advance, oil temperature, etc., you are only seeing a part of the things. My experience with data logging on other cars is that coolant temperature and oil temperature are two different things. Isn't it the oil temperature that is more important of the two?

My point is that these high temperatures are put in place on purpose and they are emissions related. I am not saying they can't be changed with a tune, but unless a person knows what they are doing, it can do more harm than good.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I really don't like the hot temps they run but if the entire package is designed to run those temps, what does it matter. I don't see JK's pulled over from overheating. If the JK's with the Pentastar V6 runs at those temps then every other thing with that engine does also. Am I smarter than the team that designed them? At 150K miles I'll be done with this JK anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts
The problem is that the system has adaptation (learning from past history). It worked on you vehicle and that is great. It doesn't mean that changing the radiator will work the same way on another vehicle. Coolant temperature is only one piece of the equation. Unless you are logging AFR, EGT, advance, oil temperature, etc., you are only seeing a part of the things. My experience with data logging on other cars is that coolant temperature and oil temperature are two different things. Isn't it the oil temperature that is more important of the two?

My point is that these high temperatures are put in place on purpose and they are emissions related. I am not saying they can't be changed with a tune, but unless a person knows what they are doing, it can do more harm than good.
Totally understand what you are saying and agree that this is all done for emissions. And yes putting in the same radiator as I have will produce approx the same results if you put it in your vehicle assuming you also have a manual.

And while oil and coolant temps are different things in reality one is not more important than the other unless the oil temp is getting to the point of oil breakdown. It is to bad we can't monitor oil temps thru the EVIC or my TD2. It might be possible with HPTuners as it can read more data. But in general oil temps will always be lower than coolant temp.

More later maybe, forgot I have to go buy new counter tops. More potential mod money down the drain,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Leadnut nailed it.
Am I content with these temps? No.
Will me Jeep be sidelined by DMV/CARB?
Bet your ass it will. Lol

I just hate seeing confusion, wasted money and time circulating for no other reason than misinformation.

While no fan of the mini short of crushing it, the forum was NAMA or something. Someone cited the mini, but my point to share was that all our engines, from corvette to Jeep are experiencing the same elevated temperature on purpose and not one forum ISNT complaining about it.

?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts