Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a well cared for '08 JKU from a nice older gentleman who had done a few basic mods like upgraded F&R bumpers, a winch, and a 4" suspension lift with 33" tires.
I was concerned that the Jeep had never REALLY been used off-road and that I would be the first one to actually put it through it's paces. Well, I sure did!

I started loading the Jeep with people and taking it on seriously rough terrain on a daily basis. That's when I realized how inadequate the lift kit was...

1. The front sway bars were still stock so they were too short, making the ride awful and needed to be replaced longer (disconnects).
2. The bump stops were rotten and destroyed which caused harsh bottom-out.
3. I immediately ripped out my front brake lines because they were too short and couldn't handle the flex.
4. The rear upper shock mounts broke in half and the bushings were mangled because they were too short for the lift.
5. The rear track bar bracket ripped completely off the axle at the welds.
6. The 33" tires on stock rims caused major tire rub/contact and bump steer up front.

So my point is... be careful buying any "fashion Jeep" that is built for looks and has never been off-roaded. Certainly don't pay extra for "fashion mods" since you'll be redoing everything from scratch anyway.

Rant over.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You mean a POSER Jeep. Lots of those around.

Reactions: Tray Burge

·
Noob
59 Posts
So, I notice that you're in Telluride. Having been up there back in July, exactly which trail in that area did you use for your test drive?

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Jesus, half the things you say broke could’ve been extremely dangerous! Especially on the trails in Telluride area. Yes, I agree that most people don’t have any idea what it really takes to put a lift on any vehicle never mind a jeep. They look at the prices of lift kits and see a wide range of pricing. Cheap $800 kits all the way up to $3500 kits. If you don’t understand why then you have a tendency to bolt on that $800 kit right up. Sounds like that’s what the previous owner did.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Jesus, half the things you say broke could’ve been extremely dangerous! Especially on the trails in Telluride area. Yes, I agree that most people don’t have any idea what it really takes to put a lift on any vehicle never mind a jeep. They look at the prices of lift kits and see a wide range of pricing. Cheap $800 kits all the way up to $3500 kits. If you don’t understand why then you have a tendency to bolt on that $800 kit right up. Sounds like that’s what the previous owner did.
Sadly, all too often, the new Jeep owner takes it to a shop (often the dealer where they bought it) who charges them $3500 to put an $800 lift kit on. So the Jeep owner thinks they have a nice lift (for $3500 it should be a nice lift), but they don't.
Some dealers sell brand new Jeeps like that.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Get over it, I'm certainly a poser and love it! I like the look and would never take my Jeep off road, it gets it all dusty and dirty? Jeesh!

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
Those mall crawler Jeeps are good for us builders... They are a known commodity. Clean, never abused and ready to be built properly.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Those mall crawler Jeeps are good for us builders... They are a known commodity. Clean, never abused and ready to be built properly.
I agree, mine has a nil speck of rust or damage on it. However, "properly" is a subjective term here. lol

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
I agree, mine has a nil speck of rust or damage on it. However, "properly" is a subjective term here. lol
To a degree, yes. For me, properly built means it will do more than I need it to in all situations. A well built off road rig rarely sacrifices anything on road, but an on road only Jeep sacrifices much off road... As the OP found out.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
4" for 33s should've been ample warning.
Be thankful you survived.

Reactions: JeepJeepBeepBeep

·
Registered
697 Posts
To a degree, yes. For me, properly built means it will do more than I need it to in all situations. A well built off road rig rarely sacrifices anything on road, but an on road only Jeep sacrifices much off road... As the OP found out.
Only if you take it off road, stay on the pavement and it's all good. lol

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Add to the fact that a Jeeps capability’s can easily be tested on pavement using ramps. A lot is also common sense. Would new driveshafts be appropriate etc.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
It's always a good idea to go over everything on any used Jeep. A simple inspection would have caught a lot of those inadequacies before they became problems. The swaybar and brake lines should have been pretty obvious just looking at it. A test drive should have told you about the tires rubbing. The rest would have been covered by a more thorough inspection and/or addressed with some necessary upgrades done just after purchase.

As always, buyer beware. You never know what the DSPO (Dip "Stick" Previous Owner) has done wrong.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
It's always a good idea to go over everything on any used Jeep. A simple inspection would have caught a lot of those inadequacies before they became problems. The swaybar and brake lines should have been pretty obvious just looking at it. A test drive should have told you about the tires rubbing. The rest would have been covered by a more thorough inspection and/or addressed with some necessary upgrades done just after purchase.

As always, buyer beware. You never know what the DSPO (Dip "Stick" Previous Owner) has done wrong.
Yes, and if you aren't a garage builder like a lot of us, get to know a few that are or find a reputable offroad shop to have them do an inspection. Definitely can save a little heartache...

·
Registered
286 Posts
As long as you don't take them out of their intended element. It sounds like the OP did....

But that is OK. Now is when the fun begins.
With used jeeps you pays your money, you takes your chances.

I've been there. I didn't like just about anything the last owner did to the last jeep I had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts